Chapter Twelve: The Dragon

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Sorcerer's Stone in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

The night that Draco had stumbled into the Slytherin common room covered in bruises, he told Pansy, Blaise, and Daphne about what he had seen in the forbidden forest. He told them about the confrontation between Snape and Quirrell, and he told them about Harry spying on them.

The four Slytherins spent the next few months splitting their time between studying for their final exams, and trying to figure out what was going on with the sorcerer's stone. Draco had come to the conclusion that Snape was trying to protect the stone while Quirrell was trying to steal it, but the others were not convinced.

"I don't know Draco," said Daphne. "I feel like there are several logical explanations we can't rule out."

"Daphne," Draco whined. "Snape said  'We'll have another little chat soon, when you've had time to think things over and decided where your loyalties lie'. That practically proves it."

"No it doesn't mate," Blaise chimed in. "Snape could be the one trying to steal it, and maybe he wants Quirrell to help him."

"Draco makes a good point, Blasie," Pansy interjected. "Snape followed Quirrell into the third floor, not the other way around."

"Exactly," said Draco slamming his fist on the library table. "Let's tell Professor Dumbledore, and we'll be rewarded. We have to do it before Potter does, and gets all the credit"

"No," Daphne insisted. "The only proof you have, you got from breaking school rules, and spying on teachers. Also, if Snape hasn't told Dumbledore there must be a reason. This could be dangerous."

"As much as I love messing around," Blaise interjected. "Let's not forget that exams are coming up and we're supposed to be studying."

The others shivered at the mention of exams. They were only first years, but it was never too early to start proving yourself, not when you had so much to live up to. The weeks that followed were pretty much eaten up by their constant studying. Draco and his friends, like many students, opted to stay at Hogwarts for Easter break to have access to the teachers while they revised.

One particularly gorgeous spring day, when summer seemed just around the bend, the four Slytherins were cooped up in the library again, wishing more than anything to go play outside. Draco looked out the window and saw Crabbe and Goyle stealing books and papers from anyone who was trying to work outside in the sun.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione happened to be sitting at a table, one row of books away from the four Slytherins, and every once in a while they could hear Hermione scolding Harry and Ron for not focusing.

Suddenly they heard a loud booming voice that surely did not belong to any of the obnoxious Gryffindor trio. "'Jus' lookin','" said the voice. "'An' what're you lot up ter? Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?'"

The voice clearly belonged to Hagrid. The four Slytherins immediately perked up at the sound of Nicolas Flamel. Pansy opened her mouth to say something, but Blaise put a finger up to his mouth telling her to hush.

"'Oh, we found out who he is ages ago,'" said Ron. "'And we know what that dog's guarding, it's a Sorcerer's St —'"

"'Shhhh!'" Hagrid interjected. However, his plees were to no avail, as all of them were talking quite loudly. "'Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?'"