Chapter Seven: The Set Up

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Sorcerer's Stone in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

Draco had never met a person he hated as much as Harry Potter. Harry was always the center of attention, always being swooned over for no reason, and it really peeved off Draco. To Draco, this was a boy who showed average magical potential, with a scrawny disposition, and no discernible personality. He really couldn't figure out what it was about him that others seemed to love, so he chalked it up to pity.

The other students may not have fully agreed with Draco, but any student or teacher could tell that while Draco was an ambitious child who worked hard in all of his endeavors, the same could not be said about Harry. Harry was a fine, somewhat introverted, student who was able to complete the bare minimum, but did not strive to be the best in school, unlike Hermione or Draco. It was actually quite funny, some of the similarities between Hermione and Draco, but telling Draco that would have bought anyone a pass to the hospital wing.

Wednesday night Draco and his friends saw the notice about flying classes starting on Thursday. Although he was aching to get back on a broom, Draco had a feeling that class would be a bit basic for his liking. Draco had been flying since he was four years old, and he had been practicing quidditch ever since he was six.

It was not uncommon for children of magical families to be taught how to fly at a young age, and the majority of his friends were decent fliers, but no one loved flying like Draco. Draco practically lived on his broom his whole childhood. Things were not always great at Malfoy Manor, but Draco had the ability to fly away and pretend that all his troubles were behind him.

Draco loved to tell the stories of flying adventures. They were all exaggerated of course, as any eleven year old would have, and he was not the only one. That morning at breakfast, the young witches and wizards swapped stories of evading muggles in helicopters, racing airplanes, and dodging lightning bolts during storms. The muggle-borns listened wide eyed, and fretted about being so behind.

Draco and several of the other first years complained loudly about how first years are never allowed on house teams.

"But Draco," said Pansy, "the way you tell it you're magnificent. You should try-out and they'll just have to take you."

"Don't even bother," a loud voice cracked. It was Marcus Flint, 5th year, captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team. "I can tell you right now that we are not taking first years, no matter how good they are. Sorry Malfoy tradition is tradition," he spoke in a falsely patronizing voice.

"Well there you have it," Draco mumbled. "There's no point to even trying."

"Cheer up Draco," said Pansy. "At least all first years are in the same boat."

Draco turned to Daphne. She took a bite out of her sausage and saw him staring at her out of the corner of her eye, "Nuh-uh," she said. "You already have one cheerleader. I have no intention of listening to your pity party."

Blaise burst out laughing, and Draco glared at them. Suddenly the owls swooped in again ready to deliver the post. Niklaus landed right next to Draco, another package tied to his leg. Their routine went about as usual. Draco tossed aside the paper, only for Blaise to pick it up and check for anything important. The Slytherins passed around the box of sweets to share, and Draco read his letter.