2. The Day that Changed Everything

"We're not close anymore, but I'll be here if you need me."
-Anonymous

The next day, David woke up to yelling. His dad was pissed about something again. David would swear that his dad was bipolar or schitzo or something. He always had a way of making something petty turn into something worthy of a meltdown that including throwing things. David could never understand why his mom put up with his shit. At least his dad didn't put his hands on him anymore. When he was younger, David had to deal with some pretty fucked up beatings. Now that he was the same size as his dad, he just had to listen to him yell about everything. While yesterday's event should not have been that big of a deal, it felt like he had been hit by a truck. Gone were the days of being obscure for lack of trying. He was now seemingly making an effort and it fell flat. He didn't know why he was trying for once in his life. He had been longingly looking at Stella for years now. Between his parents arguing and being humiliated the day before, David was feeling pretty shitty.

Later that day, he found himself back in Mr. Stevenson's class. Either he was still thinking about Stella during the quiz or he stuttered on it the same way he was when he talked to her. He had never failed a math exam in his life, but the 60 he scored was staring back at his face. Unfortunately, Mr. Stevenson had a policy that if you fail anything in class, you have to get a parent to sign it. He really did not want to put an F in front of his parents after the drama he witnessed this morning. He could hear his dad now, "What the hell, son? Were you asleep or something?" His dad always wanted to act like he was a Harvard graduate when the truth was, he barely graduated high school.

To make matters worse, he found out some really shitty news.

"Man, I know it sucks. My dad can't help that he got transferred. He got a really great promotion though," Taylor said at lunch when he broke the news to David.

Though he wanted to cry, David displayed anger instead of the utter heartache he really felt. "That's bullshit! My birthday is in a month and you know I have a party. You also know that you are the only person from school that ever comes."

"Well, maybe this is your opportunity to branch out a little and invite some people other than your family and me." Taylor was truly trying to find a way to lighten the blow, but David just took it as Taylor trying to divert the attention away from him.

"So how long before you actually leave?" David asked, hoping it would be at least a little while before he was going to be friendless and alone.

"Saturday; my dad has to report to his new job in Nashville on Monday."

"So we don't even get a last weekend to hang out? Damn it! It just keeps getting worse!"

The rest of the day, David was in a haze. He couldn't focus in a single class and he caught some glances from his teachers several times. When he saw Taylor at the end of the day, he didn't even want to talk to him. He knew it wasn't Taylor's fault, but he couldn't help but feel betrayed. For years now, he could always depend on his friend being there and now he would be gone. David began to think about what his world would be like the following week and he realized it was going to suck. Walking out to the buses that afternoon, he decided he just wanted to talk to his grandfather. Pop always had great advice for him, so he probably had some sage wisdom to share on this topic, too

In his life, David had always gone to his grandfather for everything he should have been able to talk to his dad about. Pop-his mom's dad-gave David extra attention because he was the first grandchild he had. His mom being an only child, she had always been given the princess treatment. When David was born, much of that went to him. Most days, David went to his house to visit him and ended up just hanging out with him. Even though Pop was nearly 80, David was able to connect to him on an intensely deep level. So, that afternoon, David decided that if anyone could make him feel better, it would be Pop.

When the bus came to a stop in front of the condo complex, David began to feel better. It was only about 20 yards from the bus stop to Pop's back door and David had walked it countless times. This would be one of the most memorable times for the rest of his life. He pulled his key out of his pocket and slid it into the lock, not knowing what lie before him. As the door knob turned and the door creaked open, David almost instantly knew something was wrong. "Hey, Pop!" David called out as he walked into the front hallway. He did not get the familiar reply of "Hey numb nuts!" like he usually did. This time, the call was unanswered. What happened next would ultimately define how the rest of his life would go. Reclined in his La-Z-Boy was his grandfather seemingly asleep with his fingers interlaced between his chest and stomach. David walked over and tapped Pop on the shoulder and instantly, he knew the truth. Pop's skin was cold and stiff; he was gone. This did not prevent David from calling out to him over and over. "Pop! Wake up!" David repeated as the tears began streaming down his face. Falling to his knees, David pulled out his phone and dialed 9-1-1.  About 5 minutes later, the ambulance arrived, but it was pointless. The paramedics did little more than confirm what David already knew. While they were making phone calls for the body to be removed, David called his mom.

"He's gone, mom!" David was desperately crying for his mom knowing she could do nothing about his devastation.  For the next several minutes, David and his mom just cried on the phone together while she drove to pick him up.  When she arrived, they met in a long embrace and held each other for what seemed like an hour; neither person seemed ready to let go.

When David got home, he went to his room, laid in his bed, and just cried. He didn't care who heard or how loud he was. The pain he felt from the loss of his grandfather made the pain of losing Taylor leave his mind instantly and completely.  In fact, he didn't even think about Taylor until his phone rang and he heard Taylor's voice.

"Man, I am so sorry. I heard about Pop."

"I swear to God, man, this has been the shittiest day of my life. First, I find out you are leaving with like no notice and then I find him just lying there. I feel like I am just done.  What else can I be hit with?  I don't think things could get any worse."

"Don't say that.  You know things will get better.  I know Pop dying is going to hurt for a long time.  I know it's not the same, but I loved him, too.  Just remember, I am here for you and you know that."

"Yeah, for another couple days. Then I am all alone."

"Don't be like that, David. You know that you can always count on me, no matter where I live."

While David wanted to believe Taylor, he know that in just a few short days, he would have no one he could talk to. His best friend would be moving 800 miles away and his go-to family member would be laid to rest. Then, he would have to find a way to cope with his life on his own. At this point in his life, he was wondering how he could find a way out of Kearney, Missouri.