15 The Miserable Month

I'm here without you, baby but you're still on my lonely mind
I think about you, baby and I dream about you all the time
I'm here without you, baby but you're still with me in my dreams
And tonight it's only you and me

3 Doors Down-Here Without You

Sofi texted when she landed just as she said she would. She also called when she got to her grandmother's house in Canada. The distance was more evident now. He had to work that night so at least for a few hours, his mind would be occupied. Just as he was finishing cleaning the last theater Nathan and Maddox came in to see him. He knew they weren't coming to see a movie because all of them had been on for at least an hour.

"Hey, Big D! What are you up tonight?" Nathan had given David that ridiculous nickname, but he didn't have the heart to tell him how much he hated it. Up until this very moment, his only plans were to go home and be miserable and hope for another call from Sofi. She had called him around four that afternoon, so she might not call again tonight. The time difference was part of the problem; it was two hours ahead where he was. Newfoundland was in the Atlantic Time Zone while Kearney was in Central.

"I don't know. Do I have plans now? You seem to have details on something tonight." David was only mildly curious at this point. Nathan always had a way of making any plants, whether good or bad, insane or normal, sound relatively fun. Nathan nearly had David cliff diving a couple of weeks prior.

"Ok, so Chad Height is having a party tonight and he asked if you, me, and Maddox were coming. First of all, Chad and I have never really been what you'd call friends so it was weird he'd even ask me to come. I mean, we were friends in like fifth and sixth grade, but not since high school." Nathan was rambling at this point, so David tried to snap him back to the present.

"Nathan, back to the party. Are you wanting to go? I don't get off until 10:30, so it would have to be after that. Do you think it would be weird showing up at 11:00?" David was contemplating if he even wanted to go so the time would give him a way out of it.

"Hell no, the best people don't show up until after 10. Besides, I have a confession to make. When Sofi heard about the invite from Lauren, she told us to convince you to go. She doesn't want you stuck in the house being depressed and missing her." At least Nathan was being honest. He could see him dragging him down there and calling it a "rite of passage" or some other bullshit.

"Ok, well since she insisted, I will go. Do we need to take anything? You know I am not the 'going to parties' kind of guy." David was clueless and Nathan could see it. Nathan clapped him on the shoulder to reassure him about going.

"Relax man, you will be fine. There are going to be a ton of people there so it's like they will be announcing our arrival like we are showing up at a ball, Cinderella." Nathan's comment made Maddox start laughing ridiculously.

Alright, Prince Charming, I am about done anyway, so let me tell my boss Mike that I am leaving." David started to walk away and turned back to the group. "By the way, who is going to drive? I'll be honest, if there is going to be drinking, I can drive. I had a bad experience with alcohol on my birthday last year, so I absolutely do not plan on drinking anything."

"Ok, that's great because I plan on getting fucked up tonight. What about you, Maddox? You going to get your drink on tonight?" Nathan knew the answer before he asked the question, but he did so in order to fuck with him. "Oh, no, you can't drink tonight because Alex said you can't."