10. Working Man

"Cash rules everything around me...get the money dolla dolla bill y'all"

-Wu-Tang Clan C.R.E.A.M.

The interview at the theater was really a formality. When he walked in, the manager had just a few questions. "Do you have reliable transportation?" and "When can you start?" Just like that, David had to work that Friday. His job seemed like it was going to be easy enough: tear tickets, tell people which theater to go to, and clean the theater in between showings. For $9.00 an hour, this seemed like it would be a breeze.

When he left the theater, he called his mom and told her the news that he had a job and would start tomorrow. She said she was proud of how responsible he was becoming. This reaction wasn't near as exciting as was the one she had when he told her he had a girlfriend. "What's her name? How did you meet? Who asked who?" He relayed the story to her when he got home from Sofi's; the night he and Sofi decided to become a couple. He was still beaming from their first kiss as he told his mom all about her.

"She sounds wonderful. I hope she can keep this big smile on your face for a long time." He could tell his mom saw through his attempt to show he was happy and the attempt to actually be happy. This was different, though. This was real.

"I'm head to Sofi's mom. I'll see you when I get home." David could still hear the happiness in her voice. He was glad to take at least some stress from her.

"Ok, be careful," which was his mom's mandatory statement any time he drove.

"I will. I love you," which was his mandatory response.

"I love you, too. Bye."

"Bye."

When he got to Sofi's she was at the door waiting. As he was parking, she came out to his car. She hugged and kissed him and said, "Ok, just wanted to put this out there before you walk in." David's stomach sank. "My dad is home and he will have a fierce look on his face. Don't be afraid, but don't be arrogant. Do that, and you'll be fine. My mom will typically save you from anything too dramatic."

"Ok. So, before I go to the firing squad, good news/bad news. Good news is I will be able to do more things because I will have the money to do so. Bad news is I have to work this Friday night so I won't be able to go to the party. I have Saturday night off, so maybe we can do something."

"Baby, its fine. There will be plenty of other parties we can go to." When David heard her say "baby," his heart skipped a beat. Hearing a cute name like that being given to him by a beautiful girl, who by the way was his girlfriend was still so unbelievable. "Ok, so remember, brave, but not arrogant."

They walked in and her dad was sitting at the kitchen island drinking a Heineken. He was dressed in a shirt and tie with his suit jack hanging on the back of his chair. He looked to be about 6'4" and maybe 250 pounds. He had athletic frame that indicated he was very fit when he was younger and maintained his physique even as he had gotten older. His midsection wasn't as firm as it likely was in his twenties, but he wasn't fat. His mom was leaning against the counter drinking a tall glass of red wine. She looked like someone you would see on The Real Housewives of Miami or Chicago or wherever they filmed that show. She was dressed in a running jacket and yoga pants. She probably just got back from a run or something. They looked so relaxed as he walked in. He could never imagine his dad sitting down having a beer without some sport blaring from the TV.
"Come on in and have a seat you two." Her dad's voice boomed like a radio announcer. It actually made David jump a little. They walked to the island where her parents were and had a seat. David probably looked like a scared little boy on his first day of kindergarten. Her dad sensed it and tried to reassure him without sounding soft. "Calm down, son. I don't plan on beating you...yet." With that statement, he let out a bellowing laugh that eased the tension some.