14. Summer Separation

I love you, I have loved you all along
And I miss you...been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
And you'll never go stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

Nickelback-Far Away

"How could you not tell me about this?" David was upset and he felt betrayed. "All this time, you could have told me and even though I couldn't do anything about it, I would have been prepared."

"I don't know, David. First of all, it wasn't set in stone this year and second, it slipped my mind because I was too busy enjoying my time with you. I spent every minute of every day wanting to be with you or actually being with you. The days you worked, I had to find ways to keep my mind off the fact that I couldn't talk to you."

This was the first argument, if you want to call it that, they had ever had. Sure, they had disagreements, but this one included raised voices, hurt feelings, and tears. Most every summer since she was five, Sofi would go spend a few weeks in the summer with family in Canada. Last year, they were unable to go because of her dad's work obligations, so they definitely weren't going to miss again. Sofi's grandmother was from Newfoundland and the Sofi's mom and dad would go up to see her. Her brothers went every year until they turned 18, but even then Cole would go sometimes.

"What am I going to do without you for three and a half weeks? I will go absolutely insane. My dad is cashing in a lot of vacation time this summer and I was planning on being with you every day. I don't know if I will be able to tolerate his bullshit." The pain David was feeling took him back to last year when Taylor had moved and Pop had died. Not since then had he felt this kind of sadness. He knew she wasn't going to be gone forever, but it hurt not being able to see her and hold her for that long. The longest they had gone without seeing each other since they started dating was three days in February when David got strep throat. Fortunately, he was still able to talk to her on the phone, text, and FaceTime. It wasn't like he wouldn't be able to do the same, but the pain he felt was unrelenting. Did she really have to go? The answer was "yes," so David had to find a way to cope for that month. In his head he rationalized that this was temporary. It wasn't as if she didn't want to be with him anymore. This was a trip planned by her parents, not Sofi.

"Baby, listen...you'll be working all summer which will keep your mind busy for some of that time. Nathan and Maddox will probably want to hang out some, too. I know they are quite different from you, but they can be fun, too. You saw that first-hand on prom night."

David's mind instantly went back to the night they lost their virginity to each other. He wished he could take that memory and put it in a secret box where she could relive it any time she wanted. "I think you will find a way to fill your time and we will talk every chance we get, ok?" Sofi was doing her best to reassure him that everything would be back to normal soon. David surely hoped so, but he knew it would hurt while she was gone. He thought about what she said about finding things to keep her busy. Working would take a lot of that time, but he wondered about the time he would spend at home. Sure, he would be texting her and FaceTiming her, but without the chance to hold her, it just wouldn't be the same.

Leading up to the day she would leave, David and Sofi has spent countless hours together. While they did have the opportunity to have sex again, the time together was about more than that. Spending time together was more than physical. The time they shared was a way of strengthening the bond they shared. They knew they were in love with each other and the idea that they would grow apart was almost inconceivable. They were inseparable and neither could bear the thought of life without the other. On the morning of departure, David got up at 4:30 to hurry to her house to see her off. Mr. Mason could see the connection his daughter had made with David and he was almost regretted making her go on the trip. He and Mrs. Mason knew the month long hiatus would not break them. They were bonded in a way that was far more than physical or emotional. Their connection was almost spiritual. It was apparent that they were soul mates; no one could deny that.

"I hate that you are going, but I get it. I will miss you more than you can know." David was starting to choke up and he could see tears welling up in Sofi's eyes.

"Of course I know how much you will miss me because I will miss you more than that. I will call you every day and we can FaceTime as much as possible." At this point, tears were rolling down her cheeks and David wiped them away with his thumbs.

"We will be ok, baby. It's not like you are moving. This will be a test to show everyone how strong our relationship really is. I promise to try to not be so miserable. I'm not sure what I'll do to keep my mind off the separation because nothing will make me not think of you. I promise I will not let Nathan get me blindly drunk so I will be too buzzed to miss you, either."

"You are so silly," Sofi said, happy that David could lighten the mood and stop her tears.

"Ok, you two, it's time to go. We have to be at the airport in less than an hour. You know how long it takes to get through the security checkpoints."

Tears beginning again, but this time from both of them, Sofi said, "I love you so much. I will call you the second we land and when we get to my grandmother's."

"I love you, too, baby. I can't wait to see you again." With that, Sofi got into her dad's Escalade and drove away.

David watched the car until he could no longer see the taillights. He walked to his car, got in, and broke down crying. The tears he shed in front of Sofi were uncontrollable, but he held in this outpouring of emotion until she was gone. How he would manage to be without her was the question of the century. He was no longer able to disappear to her house to avoid his asshole father. He drove home, went to his room, and cried himself to sleep.