12. Prom

"So honey, now take me into your loving arms. Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars.    Place your head on my beating heart. I'm thinking out loud. Maybe we found love right where we are."                                                                                                                                                                                                          Ed Sheeren-Thinking Out Loud

The morning of the prom, David found himself sitting in class wishing Sofi would be there for the rest of the day. He knew all the girls attending the prom left early to get their hair and makeup done. He had been waiting on this night for weeks now and it was finally here. Mr. Mason decided that he would rather pay for a limo than have anyone of them potentially drive home intoxicated. He didn't encourage drinking and he was certainly not providing anything for them to drink. He just wasn't going to be naïve about it either.

Nathan had asked him if there were any plans for after the prom and at first, David didn't catch on to what Nathan was implying.

"I don't know. Is there a party or anything going on afterwards?" David asked innocently.

"Seriously? You think I am talking about an after-party?" Nathan gave David a look silently saying "are you that dumb?" At first, David didn't know what he was trying to get at until Maddox clued him in.

"David, he's asking if you have any private plans for after the prom."

"Ohhh. I...I don't know. We really hadn't discussed any of the details of that."

"You two have never talked about sex?" Nathan asked incredulously.

"Not specifically. It's not like I would tell you if we had." David was trying to keep their private lives out of the minds of the two in front guys in front of him. He considered them his friends, more by association than choice, but they had a way of being crude around David. They seemed to expect him to join in on their immature antics.

"See, Maddox? I told you he wasn't getting laid tonight," Nathan said shoving Maddox on the shoulder.

The group parted ways to go back to class and David began wondering about tonight. He knew that many teens had sex on prom night, but they hadn't discussed the idea in detail of when they would actually do it. Several times when they were alone, they got very physical and it probably could have happened if they hadn't slowed down. Once, in fact, they knew they had plenty of time because her parents were at a work function for her dad. Her brothers now lived together across town when Cole finally decided to leave. David and Sofi were making out on the couch and their hands were traveling everywhere on each other's bodies. David was kissing Sofi's neck with one hand under her shirt and the other rubbing her thigh inching closer to the button on her jeans. Sofi's hands were sliding David's shirt up and she was rubbing his back.

In his ear, she whispered, "Do you want to? I'm ready if you are."

David suddenly couldn't speak. "Are you sure?"

She responded, "I think so. Do you have a condom?" That question gave them answer of whether they would be having sex that night. The answer was "no" because the answer to her question about the condom was also "no."

For the next couple of weeks, the opportunity never got close to that night. They always had time to make out and spend time alone. Now that he was driving her home, they always had some time in his car. They did get physical again, but it wasn't under the clothes again after that night. The topic also never came up. Everything was just like it never happened. They knew it would come up again, but for now, they were happy to be in the position they were in.