Old Friends, New Language

Ryan’s POV  

“My  Dad called?” I ask Maya. She nods and explains, “Yes and he told me that misses you and your family and he is happily remarried, living in a normal life, Ry.” 

“What time did he call, Maya?” I inquiry. “He called at 2:46 when you were on your way to pick Arabella up from the bus stop. But, he is finally having the life he wants to live, Ryan and I even wrote down his number down the book.” Maya adds, picking up the call log book to me. I carry it to see the name, ‘Keith Carter,’ and the time he calls. I pick up the phone, start pressing the numbers from the call log, and I linger to the first three rings.                                                            

“Hello, this is Keith. Who is this?”

“Dad?” I respond.

“Ryan? How are you, son?” Dad asks me through the receiver, sounding respite. “I’m fine, Dad. This is weird.” I answer.

“I know, Ryan. I know it has been sixteen years. I’m not the kind of father who is just gonna call and never come back, Ryan; I really can’t make compromising avowals, but throughout spending just five years in jail, I’m finally seeing life without violence being involved.” Dad notifies and I try my hardest to not let tears blocking in front of my eyes. “Dad, where do you live now?” I question. “I’m now living in a building at 271 Halsey St and Apartment 4 in Brooklyn. Ryan, if you and Maya want to see me and your stepmom Rita anytime soon, be sure to bring my granddaughter with you two, okay, Ryan?” Dad inquiries.

“How about tomorrow morning at nine o’clock, Dad, because Sunday is our engagement party?” I mention, noticing Maya sitting in front of her laptop as she traces her right index finger up towards her forearm, points her left wrist, points both her index and middle finger before they close, and aims her fingers towards her eyes while she speaks during these gestures, “Long time no see!” 

“Of course, son. I’ll talk to you later, Ryan.” Dad bids. “Talk to you later, Dad.” I reply, hanging up the phone and walk into the bedroom to watch Maya connecting two index fingers, aims the finger at herself, her hand covering her chin, and lands on her elbow before she makes hand gestures. “Mama, are you spelling my name in a different language?” Asks Arabella. “Yes, sweetie because some of my old friends speak ASL, which is…”  

“American Sign Language. Lucy speaks sign language in my class and my friends and I learn how to sign language from her instructor, Miss Angela. It’s amazing to learn about different languages.” Arabella cuts off Maya. “Girls, I didn’t know you both speak sign language.” I notice. “I’ve learned it since eleventh grade in high school and BOCES in the morning, Ry.”   Maya explains to me as I see two girls and one boy; one of the girls looks like Maya because of her dark brunette hair that is put into a ponytail, deep brown eyes and instead of having light and medium caramel skin tone, she has medium caramel skin tone. The other girl has long, brown hair, fair skin tone, brown eyes, and the boy has dark auburn hair, brown eyes, fair, and I can tell their siblings due to the resemblance. 

“Ryan, Arabella, these are my friends from BOCES; Tahlia Worley, Janice Iovine, and her younger brother, Charlie Iovine.” Maya introduces Arabella and I in sign language. Tahlia, Janice, and Charlie greets the three of us with their hellos before they start  communicating with us while they’re using their fingers with laughter and speeches. Charlie  asks me for my name and I start using my fingers as I speak, “My name is Ryan Carter. I am Arabella’s father and I am most importantly Maya’s best friend and fiancé because we are getting married in five months.” Charlie’s mouth drops to his chin as he begins interlocking his fingers into a ball, aiming his index finger towards Maya, Arabella, and I while he speaks with claps, “Congratulations!” Maya and I laugh as Arabella giggles with her doll.