To Encourage

~Chapter Three~

The massive library sat at the far east of the mansion on the second floor. The walls stood high and grand, the ceiling above was a rare architecture of glittering geode stone. A pure silver chandelier filled with numerous candles lit the large chamber. The crystal stones above glisten with the dimly lit wax light. It always did take Henrietta's breath away, every time she stepped foot inside.

Although she had yet to learn how to reach the end of a sentence, Henrietta considered the archive her favorite. Henry and she had spent countless hours inside its shelf-covered walls. Smiling to herself, she hurried to prepare the large and dim library for them both she anticipating learning more. Reaching the large double glass doors, she gripped the gold handle and quietly entered.

The fancy white marble floor sparkled as it captured the projection of the room. The entire Library was almost a dream as she inhaled the familiar scent of books and aging leather. Closing the door gradually behind her she turned to take in the beauty of the room. It always astounded her. Bending forward she presumed to remove her boots before placing a foot all the way inside.

Master Potent had explicitly ordered that no one enter with footwear. It had cost a fortune to place on his behalf and she could understand as much. For nearly a century, the floor remained in mint condition. Much like Henry, Master Potent spent countless hours in the Library as well.

Ettie hurried to gather the latest novel the lad had been reading. The tales captivated her, secretly helping her escape her existence for a mere few hours. On occasion, she envied the characters in the stories. It was all smiles and happiness for them all. The maiden was always ravishing and favored by all men in the land. Much like Lady Lydia had been.

Then again, her beauty had only brought her despair and sorrow. Lady Lydia had spent countless days weeping into Ettie's shoulder.

Henrietta pushed away all saddened thoughts and instead focused on skimming her fingers over the book spines, trying to find the right novel.

"Here we are." She whispered.

With the tip of her index finger, she shimmied the leather book from the shelf and brought it to settle over a small coffee table near the fire. She would then proceed to fetch Henry and lose herself in another wonderful story.

***

Calvin sat to the far north of the Library, his eyes quietly scanning a few proposals they had written him. He failed to understand why some farmers were completely idiotic. Most of the men working his lands repeatedly tried to find schemes to get out of giving their share. It was simple, if they did not pay for usage of his land and forty percent of their vegetation there could be no contract.

On his behalf, he felt he was being more than generous in asking for merely forty percent. Others would have asked for more. Setting the letter down, he gave a weary sight and rubbed his temples. It would take all day to write to each man and tell them the same answer. Why did they trouble themselves to push the matter, it was utterly inadequate?

The faint clicking of the glass doors pulled him from his exhaustion. To his revelation he witnessed from the shady end of the room Henrietta make her way within. He shifted to get a better aspect of her and the settee whined. His posture stiffen and he waited for her to turn in his direction. Instead, she seemed preoccupied to pull her feet of her boots. Entranced by the sheer action, he observed as her fingers worked skillfully. Her foot pulled from her right boot, and gently she placed it over the white moiré floor. Calvin shifted a little in his seat and felt a morsel of shame overshadow him. He was observing his maid quietly display a bit of her flesh before him. She had no idea that he sat idly by staring at her.