To Love

~Chapter Twenty Three~

The snow had begun to fall, each possible corner of the country in Theodosia laid covered in a thick layer of glittering white sleet. The air irritated the skin, even felt like it burned. It was a terrible day to bury Ettie, and as she laid frozen stiff like the six-foot hole they had dug for her, Calvin had no other choice but to call for a doctor. The entire mansion lay silent, not a sound echoed through the large halls. It was almost as if the light in the grand home had left, and all that had been left was a bitter taste in the air.

He slipped her nightgown off her body and silently went about washing every inch of her down to the tip of her toes. He did not cry, the only indication that gave away his sorrow was the shake of his hands. Once he was finished, he dressed her in a white long silk gown that covered the small petite flats made with Egyptian cotton on her feet. Quietly he wrapped the silk strings around her ankles into a bow and then stood to adorn her hair. A single white rose he placed between her resting hands and then Calvin wept.

A knock echoed through the quiet chamber and he cared not to answer it as he placed his large hands over hers and simply stared at her. The day had just begun but Calvin dreaded it more than ever. Behind those doors, he was more than certain the mortician stood, and as much as he hated to see her go, he had no other choice. Before he stood to answer the door, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, determined to hold himself together as he wiped his tears and forced his legs to stand. When Calvin felt his fingers slipping from her own hand, a single twitch from her fingers had him frozen in place. It was the slightest touch, the slightest movement she had made, but he had felt it nonetheless.

Did he imagine it?

He inched closer to her and clutched on tightly to her hand and then there it was again. A huge grin escaped his tear-filled eyes as he knelt beside her his eyes searching for any hint of movement.

"I'm right here with you." He whispered.

Her mouth twitched, almost as if smiling at his words and then slowly as if the world stood still her eyes fluttered open. The air invaded her lungs, they stung as she filled them, stretching inside of her. Her heart began to hammer inside her chest, it was as if she was being reborn again and then Ettie wept. She wept like a child in fear, her body trembling from the waves of life entering her body. She shook violently as Calvin gathered her into his arms, his eyes wide in shock and happiness. Cradling her against him, he soothed her until her tears refrained from shedding.

Ettie could not look at Calvin as she began to register just where she was. Her eyes looked down in a shy manner. Her cheeks blushed and her lips pressed into a thin line.

He swore the very action gave him a shivering pride as he smiled and whispered her name. Her small fragile fingers clutched tightly to his vest as Calvin held her tighter, burying his face into her hair. The scent of lilac hit his nostrils as he inhaled her, gently rocking her in his embrace.

Words could not begin to describe just how happy he was as he shut his eyes tight and kissed the top of her head. It was then that she looked up to him and the shimmering halo in her eyes made him want to melt. Her lips parted to speak but he did not give her permission as he kissed her. Ettie inhaled sharply and ever so slowly, she began to move her mouth against his own. He was overwhelmed with the reply as he took her small jaw and held it in his hand, his mouth twisting to get a better reach of her.

His full lips encouraged her own to part as he gently nibbled on her lip, provoking her. He could feel her trembling hands shaking as they slowly ran up his torso, past his shoulders and around to the back of his neck. When her fingers tangled in his hair, it was then that she allowed him to taste the inner silk of her mouth. The warmth of it embraced him, and gripped his gut spreading into his veins like a sweet potion. Words failed to describe the pleasure he felt and the only expression he could use to demonstrate, was his kiss.

His expert mouth intertwined with her own, as she shyly tried to match the erotic strokes he lavished upon her, taking the very breath from her. Ettie's face flushed bright pink as Calvin gently wrapped his arms around her waist, pushing her up further. The intensity in the love making of their mouths spiraled in a frenzy of passion as he deepened the kiss, her jaw giving him more access to the inner sweetness of her mouth.

Calvin was letting the world melt around him as all his concentration centered on their mouths connecting. He wanted to swoon her to take they very breath from her if only for a minuet as he dominated her tongue and suckled it into his mouth, stroking it, provoking her to quiver under his embrace. When he allowed her to breathe a single groan escaped him to feel the soft texture of her lips slowly detach from his own. The air suddenly felt thick, their breaths ragged and defeated.

She smiled, her face flushed with passion as she looked away. Calvin did not allow her to turn her face from him as he gathered her chin into his hand and lifted it so that she stared at him.

"I've waited countless days to see your eyes, do not look away from me." He whispered.

They smiled at him, the dark ocean blue quickly losing him in a joy no other would ever provide for him.

"I could hear your voice, it was as if it came and went with the wind, a whisper to say but I heard it. I heard it all...and I would have hated to die and not have said I love you too." She whispered.

"I will not allow that you spend any more time away from me, I do not think my heart, nor soul could bear it. Marry me Henrietta."

She gathered the white rose in her hands and inhaled it, her long lashes gently touching her cheeks. When she lifted her eyes to look at him, he could see all the beauty in the world gathered inside of her. Surely, he was more certain now than ever that she was living proof that love could exist even in the most distressed of times. Now things could be better than normal, now he could find himself a happy man.

"Is that a yes?" he asked.

Her lips pressed together as she stared at him, her gaze making him a bit tense as she smiled and inched up to kiss him.

"Yes." She muttered.

Calvin took her into a hug and held her there until the person on the other side of the door finally grew a bit impatient and opened it without permission. The mortician stood with his eyes a bit confused as he looked down to his black shiny shoes and cleared his throat.

"Pardon Sir Potent...but I was called to gather one who has passed." He said.

"I believe we have made a mistake, but I will pay you for the trouble." Calvin replied, unable to contain his grin.

The man nodded and closed the door and Calvin rose to his feet, determined to start his new life together. Taking Ettie's hand, he was gentle as he aided her to stand her legs wobbling a bit as they walked towards the door. He would see to it to fetch his son personally and finally let Henry now who he had chosen for a wife.