•2•

Ellie plucks at the strings, humming Joel's tune to herself when the door opens and she abruptly stands, discarding it in embarrassment.

"Hey, kid." (Y/N) says.

It was the next morning, the sun just having risen and Ellie smiles at her, relaxing as she sits back down. "Hey."

"Joel's still in bed. Snoring of course." She says and Ellie chuckles. "That's Joel for you."

(Y/N) sits besides the young girl on the bed, letting the comfortable silence hang in the air between them and then Ellie breathes out in content.

"I could get used to this." She says and the older one laughs, watching her lean back.

"Me too, kiddo."

(Y/N) studies the drawings stuck up on the wall, her eyes scanning over the room and she lets herself relax, lying back until they were side by side.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

Ellie turns her head as (Y/N) still stares up at the ceiling. "I'm so thankful for you."

The ex firefly turns her head to face the girl, her face breaking out into a grin. "And I you, El."

Ellie matches her grin, looking back up to the wood and (Y/N) stares at her before doing the same.

"I want you to know, I - " the teenager trails off, blowing out air and sitting back up. She grabs the woman's hand, hauling her up and they sit side by side, her shoulder touching her arm.

"I think of you like a mom." Ellie admits and (Y/N)'s eyes widen in shock, the glimmer turning to happiness.

"Well I'm glad we're on the same page."

"Really?" The girl seems shocked to think that (Y/N) would think of her then anything other then the girl she had to babysit all those years, especially not as a daughter.

"Really, El."

She nudges her shoulder, laughing slightly and Ellie hugs her from the side, feeling relieved at having told her.

"Alright, I better get going." The older woman plants a soft kiss on top of the girl's head and stands.

"Did he ask you?"

(Y/N) raises an eyebrow, indicating with her hand for her to go on and Ellie rolls her eyes. "Did Joel ask you?"

"Ask me what?" She chuckles.

Ellie's eyes widen in realisation and she shakes her head. "Nothing."

"No, no, it's not nothing, what is Joel supposed to ask me?"

The door opens and the man in question steps inside, closing it behind him and stretching slightly. "Mornin'."

"What have you not asked me?" She rounds on him and he points to Ellie. "You told her?"

"No!"

"No! She didn't, so? What is it?" (Y/N) questions, her hands on her hips and Joel pinches the bridge of his nose.

"I just wanted to ask whether you would like to go on a ride with me later. We could take the patrol." He says and she eyes him, trying to decode.

He waits, not giving anything away and (Y/N) hums, huffing in annoyance as she looks between the pair, suspicious. "Fine."

"Fine." Joel repeats, a small smile tugging at the edge of his lips.

(Y/N) gives him a soft glare, heading towards him and she taps his chest. "Don't be late." She mutters, leaving the house and Joel waits until the door is closed and he hears her footsteps fade.

"Do you think she knew?" He asks and Ellie shakes her head, pulling out the ring he had asked her to keep safe.

"Not at all."