•4•

The ceremony was small. Tommy had one of his men officiate it, with a small group for the witnesses. It happened at Christmas, with heavy snow coating the outside in a perfect winter theme.

Tommy was Joel's best man, with his wife Maria taking part as the only bridesmaid and Ellie as (Y/N)'s made of honour.

Maria had a couple people in the town pull together on a small dress for the bride, who had at first refused for them to go to all that effort, but they insisted.

Tommy gave Joel is old tux from his wedding. It was a bit tight to do up but (Y/N) loved seeing Joel squirm in his unconventional dressing.

Their vows were short. Joel had mentioned Sarah, the fact she would have adored the ex firefly. He also included the idea of Ellie and how they were - in his eyes - a family.

(Y/N) talked about how she had adored him and their journey together. She didn't tell anyone, but she could see the glistening of tears at the edge of his eyes.

At the party afterwards, they had their first dance, nothing major as neither knew any steps. It was a laugh and that was all they needed.

Whilst everyone else carried on partying into the early hours of the morning, Joel and (Y/N) had left.

He had sung to her in the privacy and comfort of their own space. Afterwards, Ellie had joined them for a couple of minutes, the trio talking about anything and everything.

And now the pairing were alone together. Ellie had left hours ago and (Y/N) lies on top of the sheets in one of Joel's t-shirts.

Joel leaves the bathroom, yawning and stretching slightly as he clambers in beside her. She cuddles into the side of him, wrapping his arm around her and his fingers trail lightly on her skin.

(Y/N) sighs in content and Joel smiles, lifting his hand slightly to see the shine of his silver ring.

"Well, we actually did it." He says and she laughs. "You had doubts?"

"Of course not. I just never thought after everything with Sarah and loosing Tommy -" Joel trails off and she sits up on her elbow.

"You would never get another chance at a family?" She questions softly and he nods.

(Y/N) cups his cheek, her thumb running over the bristles of his beard. "You have Tommy back and nobody could ever replace Sarah -"

Joel smiles. "Honey, I know."

"What I'm trying to say is that you have me and Ellie. Always." She promises.

He lies them back down. "Later we should go on a walk." He suggests and she groans. "Not another patrol, sweetie."

"No, no, not after last time." He reminds her and she chuckles. "Just a walk." He reassures and she nods, tapping her fingers lightly across his chest.

"I want you to teach me how to play guitar too." (Y/N) suddenly states and Joel smiles up at the ceiling.

"I will, baby."

She smiles at his nickname and closes her eyes, happy. "I love you."

"I love you too."