•3•

Find the uncharted 4 reference

The cooling breeze brushes over, sending small chills down her spine and setting the hairs on her arms to standing. (Y/N) takes a deep breath, sat on her horse at the the top of the hill, overlooking the scenery below.

It was the evening. The sun was setting and washing the sky in calming tones of orange and yellow.

Joel had taken (Y/N) on the patrol, but the two had gotten sidetracked after the usual check of an abandoned house. They had raided any last supplies, cleared out the remaining clickers and then stayed in the room for a while.

He watches her stare at the setting sun. He loved how peaceful she was, more relaxed than the adventure they had endured to the fireflies. A weight from her had been lifted ever since she had told him and Tommy various details.

Joel rides up beside her, turning to watch her chest rise and fall with every breath and she makes eye contact.

He smiles softly, the sun reflecting in the (E/C) orbs.

"This was nice." He states and she raises an eyebrow.

"Killing infected and being on patrol?" She questions and he glares at her, knowing she knew what he meant.

"No the detour." He mutters, a light tint to his cheeks and she laughs.

"I know, I'm just bustin' your chops, cowboy."

"Well, there's no need." Joel sighs, adjusting in his seat and (Y/N) looks back out to the light. He follows her gaze, his hand reaching into his pocket and he fumbles with the small object.

"Let's go." She says, turning away and starting the trek back.

"(Y/N) -" he starts, but is cut off by her being thrown back off the horse by a sudden hoard of infected.

She had landed on the dirt, the wind knocked out of her as her horse had ran off into the wild. Joel slides off his own, loading up his rifle and aiming.

(Y/N) was on her back, trying desperately to get the clicker's mouth away from her and Joel struggles to get the correct shot.

"Joel!" She screams, reaching out for her dropped knife.

"I'm tryin'!" He shouts.

"No, behind you!" She warns and he turns, shooting instantly and the infected falls.

Joel then turns back to his companion and her enemy, breathing steady and this time not hesitating a shot.

The body falls limp and (Y/N) pushes it off, the blood splattered over her face and she grimaces, picking up her knife and standing.

The two take out the rest of the hoard and once (Y/N) stabs the last one, Joel grabs her to face him.

"You okay? Got any bites?" He asks, checking her over and she grabs his arms.

"No, I'm fine." She promises and he runs a thumb over her cheek, wiping some of the blood away.

"Let's get you cleaned up."

The two sit by the mouth of a lake. (Y/N) kneels at the bank, bringing the water to her face and cleaning the blood off.

Joel stands a distance away, his eyes fluttering over the area. He had bought his horse and he leans against it slightly, his eyes landing on the female in front of him.

She had stopped washing her face and was now staring at the ripples she had made in the water.

"You okay?" He calls, seemingly snapping her out of her trance.

"Yeah. Just tired." (Y/N) picks up her weapon, turning back to him. "We should really head back before they lock it up."

"Guess we didn't clear them out as well as we thought." He jokes and she rolls her eyes. "Yeah, no kidding."

She walks past him, going to clamber on the back of the horse when he lightly grabs her arm.

"I wanted to ask you something before."

"I knew it. I knew it wasn't just going on a patrol!" She exclaims and he chuckles. "Yeah, you got me (L/N)."

"So, what is it? Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine, well at least I will be after doing this." He reaches into his pocket, pulling out something but keeping his hand grasped around it.

"Joel?" She asks concerned and he opens his hand up, showing a silver ring.

"It ain't nothin' special, but I want to marry you (Y/N)." He announces.

She smiles, picking up the ring and turning it in her fingers. "You're not one for romantics are you."

"I happen to think the sunset was romantic." Joel counters and she nods.

"Yes but the wave of infected that came after was not."

"Not a part of the plan."

"You're not one to drag it out either are you? Just straight to it." (Y/N) says and he sarcastically smiles.

"Would you like me to get down one knee and do this properly because I will -" he goes to take the ring back and she pulls away.

"No, no, we can't have your old man knees giving out on you now can we." She jokes and he grabs her face, pulling her in for a kiss without warning.

Pulling back breathless, (Y/N) nods her head. "It's a definite yes."