•15•

Did I really spend ages on this chapter trying to fit in every detail so now it's long af because I want the reader to miss Ellie?!? yes

3 years earlier

Ellie sits on a log, Joel's guitar on her lap as she softly strums the strings.

"That's starting to sound like something." Joel praises, walking towards her and she looks up at him.

"Ugh, I suck." She admits.

"Nah... just need to build up your calluses, that's all." He tells her and she sighs, looking down at her hands.

(Y/N) comes up behind him, a smile on her face and a shimmer in her eyes as she takes his hand. "Come on." She tells Ellie, who's own eyes widen.

"Is this it?"

"Yeah."

The two adults turn and start walking off, Ellie quickly placing the guitar down to follow.

"I'm gonna start guessing." She says and Joel laughs. "You want to spoil your surprise now?"

"I dunno.... is it a dinosaur?"

"Stop trying to guess, we're not telling you." (Y/N) warns her.

"Is it an elephant?"

Joel sighs and (Y/N) chuckles, squeezing his hand as Ellie hums. "Is it a convertible?"

"You're not gonna guess." Joel states.

"Is it a puppy? Is it a lotta kittens?."

"You mean a litter?"

"What's a litter?"

"A bunch of kittens." Joel answers and the teenager frowns. "Why wouldn't you call it just a bunch of kittens?"

"I don't know why - it's called a litter!" Joel says, exasperated, he pushes back the leaves and (Y/N) stands beside him, letting Ellie go first.

"Mind your step."

"I got it -" And with that, Joel nudges Ellie, sending her tumbling into the water and she resurfaces, spluttering.

Joel was doubled over with laughter and (Y/N) was the same, finding Ellie's expression amusing.

"What is wrong with you?" She yells.

"Ah, you should see your face right now." (Y/N) chuckles, shaking her head.

"What if I drowned?"

"You're not gonna drown. You gotta work on that confidence, kiddo." Joel reassures and she nods. "Yeah, keep laughing, old man. See what happens."

(Y/N) points up ahead. "This way."

"Your swimming's getting better. Remember now, don't just flail about, you gotta -" Joel calls down, but she easily repeats what he has taught her: "push the water with your whole arm."

"Glad to know I'm getting through." He shrugs as Ellie joins them back on land.

"Ellie, c'mere, take a look at this." Joel mumbles to her and they all stop at the edge. "You see that deer over there? You see it, just through there, look."

"Yeah. I see it. Looks like..." she pushes Joel in, making (Y/N) burst out laughing.

"How's that feel?" Ellie shouts, high-fiving the Firefly.

"Refreshing." Joel admits.

"Yeah, it's not nice getting pushed in, is it?"

"Well, actually we need to swim through this part anyway." Joel informs her, a smug look on his face as she glares at him and (Y/N) dives in.