36: Someone Already Has

We are nearing the end. :'(

----

After the slip-up, I had expected things between Cory and I to be at least a bit awkward—which is why it's such a big and pleasant surprise that we didn't spiral down that hole. It would've been awful if we had, considering he's a permanent part of Brandon's life, and there is simply no way to avoid him. (Not that I would want to.)

Plus, there was nothing wrong with liking... your best friend's sister. I cringe at the idea. There is nothing wrong, but tell me that it doesn't sound something straight out of Wattpad. And isn't that the whole plot for Kissing Booth?

"Duh," Claudia drawls before snickering after I broke the news to her and Devorah. We're in her apartment, cleaning up after the cookies they'd made for a video. "I thought you'd have known by now."

Devorah is picking on her nails. "Yeah, it's like Cory wears his penis outside his pants."

"Dev," I sigh, trying to paste a poker-face but fail, bursting into laughter. As amusing as her analogy is, it's a no for me. I don't want that image in my head, no. Gross.

Claudia is chuckling freely. "I think you mean 'heart on his sleeve.'"

"Same thing."

I shake my head at them. It's definitely not the same thing, although if you really think about it... nope. I'm not going there.

Devorah looks at me though, her nails forgotten and a serious look on her face. I steel myself. She's rarely ever serious and whatever she's about to say will inexplicably send a barrage of thoughts into my head.

"What's your plan though?" She asks, eyes wide. "Don't you like him back?"

"Well, I..." I trail off and she waits patiently for me to finish. I see Claudia stop wiping the kitchen island, tuning in, their curious gazes trained on me. I shift uncomfortably.

It's not that I didn't like Cory. He's a great guy despite their crazy antics for the channel. He's a combination of many different things: decent and thoughtful, smart-mouthed and chill, idiotic and easy-going.

We get along really well—way too well, if I compare our kinship to others I have with the opposite gender. Adding his boyish smile and quick wit into the mix, no one could argue about him being a catch. Hell, he is a catch, and any girl who'd turn him down would be missing out.

And maybe, maybe if I'm not in love with another curly-haired boy with the jawline, I might consider returning his feelings. But the timing is all wrong, isn't it? Because I am in love with Harry and I couldn't... I couldn't imagine a relationship with anyone else.

It dawns on me.

Shit, I'm in love with Harry.

The internal admission sends a wild flutter in my chest. I think I'd always known I had deeper feelings for him, always known with the way his slightest cute mannerisms make my lips curve upwards or how I feel like flying whenever his lips move in a way against mine that makes me sag into him. But I'd never said it out loud, never admitted it to myself.

I meet Dev's eyes. "I'm in love with Harry." The words taste sweet in my mouth, so I repeat it, firmer, a smile forming on my lips.

"We've gathered that," she answers, eyes darting to Claudia's amused face before returning to me with a growing grin of her own. "But you didn't answer the question—don't you like him back?"