prolouge

Draco
It was my eleventh birthday and I had just received my letter from Hogwarts. School started in just a few weeks and I was super nervous to say the least. My family, the Malfoys, were one of the richest pureblooded families for the past 10 generations. If I didn't make it to Hogwarts, and if I didn't get into the Slytherin house, I'd be done for.

Now, I was waiting in the sitting room of my the Malfoy Manor waiting for my best friend, Kaylee Miller, to show up. The Millers were also a very rich pureblood family. Kaylee and I had been friends since birth because our parents were friends and they worked together. We'd been planning on getting into Hogwarts and being Slytherins together ever since we were five. Now, today was the day when we found out if we got in.

Kaylee
My parents and I flooed into the Malfoy Manor as soon as I got my letter. Draco and I shared a birthday, so we planned on opening our letters together. I wasn't too confident about getting into Hogwarts, so I secretly applied to Beauxbatons, an all-girls magic school, just in case. Draco didn't know about this though because he thought that if I got in to both schools, I'd choose Beaxbatons over Hogwarts.

As soon as I saw Draco he was already up and
running towards me and I started to do the same. His embrace made me feel at home. After all, I was his best friend. Once we pulled away, I saw that Draco was holding his letter. He looked down at mine, grinned, grabbed my hand and ran towards the couch, with me close on his heels. Luckily, he didn't notice that I was actually holding two letters.

Our parents were sitting on the other couch, talking to each other quietly.

"Are you ready?" Draco questioned me as we sat on the couch.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied.

I sat on my letter from Beauxbatons and was ready to open my letter from Hogwarts. "Three, two, one!" Draco and I shouted in unison. As we read our letters, a huge grin appeared in Draco's face. He glanced at me, who was now carrying a frown.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Draco asked quietly as he scooted closer to me, trying to see my letter.

"I- I didn't get in," I said, tears starting to roll down my cheeks. Draco looked sad too, but didn't say anything and pulled me into another tight embrace, my head resting on his shoulder as I cried.

Once we pulled away, my parents look at me with a sad, but to my surprise, not disappointed look. After sitting in the awkward silence for a bit, my mother finally asks, " Well, are you going to open the other one?"

Crap. "The other one? What other one?" Draco demands, trying to keep calm. Draco's mother, Narcissa, silently tells my parents and Draco's father, Lucius, to leave us alone. Our parents understand and leave Draco and I alone in the sitting room.

"What did they mean 'the other one?'" Draco questions me again, turning back to me.

"Um... I applied to Beauxbatons without telling you," I finally spit out. Draco looks more mad than I've ever seen him before.

"Open it," Draco demands. I'm stunned by his sudden mean-ness but I do what he says, knowing how he can be when he's angry. Once when we were kids, I stole the swing from him at the muggle playground and he nearly broke my arm from pushing me off of it.

I pull the letter from under me and slowly open it, Draco watching emotionless. I read the letter... "I got in," I squeak so quiet that I was surprised he could even hear.

"So I'm guessing you'll be going there instead of Hogwarts then?" Draco questions, still emotionless.

"I kinda have to, Drac, I mean, I didn't get in-" I start to reply before Draco cuts me off.

"Out. Now," he says, all anger returning to his voice. After I hesitate, his voice becomes a yell, "Are you deaf? I said out! Now!"

I quickly stand up from the couch and whisper-yell to Draco so that my parents couldn't hear, "Fuck you." Then in traditional pureblood fashion, I stride over to the fireplace where my parents were already standing. I wanted to get out of there fast so that Draco couldn't see the tears that were already welling up in my eyes. Luckily for me, that would be the first time I would see Draco Malfoy for three years.