9: dancing

Kaylee
I walked into the library to see Malfoy already sitting at a table. He hadn't seemed to notice me yet, so he was startled when I sat down across him. He looked up from his book (since when could he read?) and smirked.

"Never knew you were bad at potions, Miller." He closed his book and leaned back in his chair.

"Never knew you were such a dick, Malfoy. Oh wait, I did." He rolled his eyes in response as I pulled out my potions book. "So what are we gonna work on? Snape will have both our heads if I don't get a good grade in the next test."

"Probably brewing." I opened the book and we started reading. It felt weird having him look over my shoulder to read and I felt his hot breath down my neck. I slammed my book shut, stood up and said,

"Are you going to keep breathing down my neck?"

"Miller, calm down." Draco stood up and came towards me.

"It's not my fault you're being a creep! Just get your own damn book. I'm done with this for today. Goodbye, Malfoy." I grabbed my stuff and turned to walk away when I remembered that Draco was part of the Triwizard Tournament too. I turned around and asked, "Have you had any luck with your egg?"

"Egg? What egg?"

"You know, the golden one that we had to retrieve from the dragons."

"And why would I tell you about that?"

"So we could be even," I stated coolly.

"Like I care about being even with you."

"Oh, well that's the thing, Malfoy. You do. See, being your best friend for years, I know you better than most. And I think that you feel bad about yelling at me that day."

"You're delusional."

"I know!" I realized that today wouldn't be the day that Draco Malfoy would apologize, but I would get it out of him sometime. "See you tomorrow!" I waved behind me as I walked out of the room.

As I was coming out of the library, I bumped into a dark-skinned figure. I looked up and saw Blaise standing in front of me. "Sorry Blaise."

He looked down at me and grabbed my arm. "Come on, McGonagall wants us all in the Great Hall." Flustered, I followed him, his grip still tight on my arm.

When we made it to the Great Hall, I noticed six sections of students; each of the four houses, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. I noticed two red-haired twins waving me over to them, so I said goodbye to Blaise and walked over to them. I probably wasn't supposed to be sitting with the Gryffindors—I saw McGonagall looking at me—but I couldn't care less.

I sat in between the boys. I looked at Fred first. "Hey Fred." I turned to the younger twin, "Hey George."

"Hello, Kaylee," they said in unison. They scare me sometimes.

"Do you guys know what we're doing here? I really just wanted to go back to my dorm and sleep." It was after dinner and I was truly exhausted.

"Nope. But do you wanna help us with a prank tomorrow?" Fred asked.

George fake-coughed. "I think I'm sick, you two can do the prank on your own. Ya know, give you some-" he wiggled his eyebrows "-alone time." He winked at Fred.

I looked at Fred, who was now blushing. He was nice, sure, but I didn't like him in that way.

Fred leaned over me and slapped George on the face. I giggled. "Oh come on Georgie, we all know pranks aren't nearly as fun without you."

Fred was about to cut in when McGonagall started, "So I'm sure you are all wondering why you're here today." Murmurs spread throughout the hall. "As you all know, the Triwizard Tournament is being held at Hogwarts this year. With the Tournament comes a Yule Ball, held on Christmas day. Our Champions-" the twins nudged me at the same time "-will have the first dance, followed by everyone else. So, we will be practicing ballroom dancing to prepare."

Everyone groaned, especially the twins next to me. I, on the other hand, was actually quite excited for this ball.

"Now, who would like to be my partner to help demonstrate?" Silence. The professor looked at where her house was seated. Her eyes locked with someone who was sitting above the twins and I. I looked up and saw Ron trying to avoid McGonagall's gaze.

"Ah, Mr. Weasley! Come down and dance with me." The twins started laughing, and I laughed with them. Ron started walking towards his Head of House nervously. When he reached her, she instructed him to put his hand on her hip and they started dancing. It was very awkward.

A few minutes later, McGonagall told us to get into pairs and start dancing. I looked over to Fred who was already looking at me and we stood up.

"May I have this dance, M'lady?" he asked dramatically, putting his hand out to bring mine to his face to kiss the back of my hand.

"You may." I said with a giggle.

The whole time we were dancing, I felt eyes on me, but I didn't dare look back, suspecting that the eyes belonged to a certain bleach-blonde haired someone.

That night, I went back to my dorm and silently pondered who I wanted to ask me to the dance. My mind subconsciously kept thinking about Draco, but I knew that was absurd; the man didn't feel anything. I fell asleep thinking about those gray-blue eyes fixed on mine.