8: tutoring

Kaylee
The next day I skipped breakfast because I knew that everyone would be looking at me. Last night, Artemis told me I had gotten first place in the first task, which was surprising. I i hadn't gotten to ask Harry how it went for him, so that was second on my list for the day, after classes, of course.

I walked into potions and Blaise was gesturing for me to sit next to him. Malfoy and Crabbe were at the table, too, but I didn't even glance at them.

"You got first place! I knew you had a chance at winning. Malfoy over here has been pissed all night because you beat him," Blaise said and I laughed. I finally looked over at Draco who was now glaring at Blaise.

His gaze turned to me as he sneered, "Miller has nothing on me. I may have screwed up on this one, but there are still two more tasks."

"Mhm, keep telling yourself that," I giggled.

"Ehem," a deep voice said from above me. I looked up to see Snape standing above me. That man scared the crap out of me; it's no wonder that Neville's boggart is him.

"Sorry professor. I was just telling Malfoy over here how I'm going to beat him in the Tournament," I said sweetly, a fake smile spread across my face.

Snape scoffed. "Yes, Malfoy better step up his game before he gets beaten by a girl." The professor stepped away from me and shifted his gaze towards Malfoy. The blonde-haired boy responded by rolling his eyes and Snape went back to teaching.

When he got out of earshot, I whispered to Blaise, "Someone's got his greasy hair in a twist. I mean, really, does that man not know what shampoo is?" Blaise laughed a little to loud at my remark which sent Snape turning around and glaring daggers into my soul.

"Would you like to share that with the class, Miss Miller?" Snape asked.

"No, sir."

"Detention later."

"But sir-"

"No buts."

I rolled my eyes as Snape turned around towards the board and started teaching. I was already very skilled at potions, so I tuned Snape out and started to have a thumb war with Blaise. I could feel Malfoy's heated stare on me the whole time, but I didn't acknowledge it.

After class as I was walking out of the room, Snape told me to come stay after class. Malfoy was there with him. "Miss Miller, I have decided that you will not have detention today, mainly because your Headmistress says I am not allowed to issue you detention. She has decided, though, that your punishment for misbehaving will be getting tutored for potions."

I sighed. Potions had always been my worst subject, and Madam Maxine knew that. "Who will be my tutor, Professor?" I asked.

"I thought it would be best for my best student to be your tutor, which is why Mr. Malfoy is here. He will be your tutor."

I burst out laughing; Draco was always not very intelligent. When I saw the stern look on Snape's face though, I asked, "Wait, you're serious?" The professor nodded. "Oh. Well then, have a good day?" I ran out of the classroom. Much to my dismay, Malfoy followed me out of the room.

"What did I ever do to you, Kaylee?" he sneered. He pushed me up against the wall, his hands on either side of my head. I could feel his hot breath down my neck. I pulled away and looked at him once I was out of his grasp.

I laughed. "Oh, I don't know, maybe you threw away our friendship just because I applied to a different school."

His expression faltered for just a second and I swear it looked like he was hurt. "Kaylee, I was just angry, I'm so-"

"Oh, shut it Malfoy. I don't want your lame excuses. You really hurt me and we had been best friends for so long. Now, if you excuse me, I have to go to my next class." I walked past him and made my way to transfiguration. I still couldn't keep my mind off of Malfoy. What if he really was sorry?

~*~

The rest of the day was super boring, and I still hadn't been able to find Harry. "Where could that boy be," I whispered to myself as I walked through the halls. I had my head down so no one would notice me, which was surprisingly working.

Speak of the devil, I bumped into someone on my way to the Great Hall for dinner. I looked up to see who it was, and I was greeted with Harry Potter. "Harry! I've been looking for you all day!" I said, pulling him through the crowds to an empty classroom. "How did your task go the other day? Sorry I didn't stay to watch it, I was really tired."

The boy who lived smiled at me and replied, "Oh, no, it's ok. I only ended up getting second place anyway. You did really good though; I ended up summoning my broom too."

I punched him in the arm softly, "Hey! Copy cat!" We both giggled. "Anyway, have you had any luck with the egg?" I had tried to open the golden egg I retrieved from the dragon's nest last night, but it let out a loud wail every time.

"No, mine was yelling super loudly. I'm guessing yours was too?" he asked, and I nodded. "Well, tell me if you figure it out, and I'll do the same."

"Ok," I replied, giving him a hug before I turned to leave, "Bye, Harry!"