12: the yule ball

Kaylee
I stood in the full-length mirror of Artemis and my dorm. Tonight was finally the Yule Ball, and although it didn't start until eight, she insisted on getting ready early. It was currently four, and I was getting my makeup on.

"Hold still!" Artemis commanded as she took a brush to my eyelids. I watched out of the corner of my eye in the mirror her using a dark eyeshadow to do a smoky look to go with my black dress. I decided to go with the dress I had been trying on when I ran into Draco, as he had seemed to like it.

Shit, Kaylee, get it together! You're going to the ball with Fred, not Draco.

But how could I get him out of my head after yesterday?

Draco had been avoiding me at meals and when I tried to approach him in the hallways to talk about...well, I don't even know what it was. I mean, he just kissed me out of nowhere, and then avoided me! I hate men.

All of a sudden, I was pulled from my daze when I heard a knock at the door. Artemis looked up from doing my makeup, "Oh, yeah, Apollo said he was gonna come over. Can you go get it please?" I smiled at my friend and went to the door.

When I opened it, the person standing there was none other than Draco Malfoy. When he saw me, he pulled me into the hallway and shut the door behind me.

"What the-" I started before he covered my mouth with his hands.

"I'm not supposed to be here. I have to tell you something." He pulled his hand away from my face and I nodded. "About the other day...I just needed you to know that that meant nothing to me."

My heart dropped to my stomach. Tears rushed to my eyes, but I blinked furiously to stop them from flooding out and ruining Artemis' intricate eye makeup. "Wha-"

"Stop talking! See, this is the problem with you. You never stop talking." This was the last straw. I stepped away from the wall that Draco had pushed me up against and brought my hand to his face.

"Fuck you, Malfoy. I don't know why I ever thought about forgiving you. Now if you excuse me, I have to go get ready for the Yule Ball. Remember, the one where I have a date and you don't?" I walked back into my dorm without a single look back to that snake. I guess he really does belong in Slytherin.

I slammed my door and went to my bed. Don't cry, don't cry. That bitch doesn't deserve you. You're going to the ball with Fred and you're going to make Malfoy jealous.

Breathe in, breathe out. In, out. In, out.

Ok, let's do this.

Artemis came out of the bathroom and I walked over. "Do you think you could do more...intense makeup? Like, something that could make someone jealous?"

"I have the perfect thing in mind," my curly-haired friend smirked.

~*~

I strutted out of my dorm with Artemis next to me. She chose a short, light blue dress. While I hated our school colors, my best friend loved them.

We arrived to get to the ballroom early since I was a Tri-wizard Tournament Champion, and Artemis was going with Viktor Krum, who was also a Champion.

Standing there waiting for me was the handsome Fred Weasley. He really was gorgeous, but not really my type. That title belongs to a certain blond boy that I should not be thinking about right now! I'm here with an amazing guy, and who knows, this could turn into something more.

I walked to Fred and stood on my tip-toes to place a kiss onto his cheek. I felt a blush rise to his face under my lips. As I stepped away, he looked me up and down. "You...look amazing."

I blushed as well. "Thank you." I moved to his side and held his hand, hoping that Draco was in the room to see this strange display of affection. Walking over to Artemis and Krum, I saw Draco out of the corner of my eye. On his arm was none other than Ginny Weasley. What the hell?

Then it hit me: McGonagall didn't want a Champion to not have a date, so she set him up with a Weasley. I smirked to myself at Draco's discomfort. Though I must admit, Ginny did look stunning in her dress robes. What a good day to like women.

Fred and Krum started chatting mindlessly and Artemis had gone to the bathroom, so I scanned the room for Harry. When I saw him walking in, late, I ran over to him. "Harry!" I pulled him into a quick embrace.

"'Ello Kaylee. You look brilliant!"

"Right back at ya."

We talked for a few minutes about how we could possibly get the egg open, then McGonagall called us all over.

"Now, students, remember the dance that I taught you. Make your headmasters and I proud."

The doors to the ballroom opened to a large crowd of students whose gaze turned to us. Krum and Artemis went first, followed by Fred and me, then Draco and Ginny, and lastly Harry and a girl I think is called Parvati Patil. The whole time we were walking to the center of the room, I felt Draco's eyes on me. Obsessed, much?

I decided to focus my attention on Fred for the night. I turned to him and we started to dance to the music. All of a sudden, I felt him step on my heels.

"Freddie, that hurt!" I giggled, slapping his arm playfully. He laughed back and I stepped on his shoes. He pretended to look offended and I smiled. Maybe this could work out.

~*~

After a while of dancing, Fred and I sat down at a table. "That was exhausting." I said, taking of my heels.

"Tell me about it. I don't know how proper purebloods"-he said with air quotes-"go to these things all the time." I laughed at this, knowing he was talking about me.

"It really sucks if we're being honest." I bit my lip at the awkward silence and I noticed Fred's gaze go from my eyes to my lips. "Freddie, my eyes are up here." This made him blush and look back up.

"I'm sorry Kaylee, I just really like you." He took my hand. "Will you be my girlfriend?" I was taken aback by this question, but this night had shown me a new side to Fred. A side that I fancied.

"Of course, Freddie." A grin larger than Saturn appeared on his face and he stood up, pulling me with him.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked sweetly, looking directly in my eyes. I nodded and he quickly brought his lips to mine. As much as I liked Fred, I couldn't help but imagine Draco as I kissed my new boyfriend.

————————————————————————

hey guys! so i'm really torn right now between fred and draco. i know this is a draco fanfic and all, but i like writing about fred with kaylee as well. what do you think? leave a comment!