Chapter 18: Silence

Marinette

My jaw dropped.

What was Luka doing here?

Adrien looked at me, seeming concerned. I held his hand tighter, "I don't know..." I said, answering his unasked question. He nodded, offering me a small smile. "Let's not worry about it. It might not have anything to with us." He said, and I agreed.

"So princess, what would you like to do first?" He asked, and I thought about it. "I'm not sure, we can-" I was interrupted as Nino approached Adrien, his eyes widened as he held his chest. "I don't know what to do bro... Alya is just so beautiful and I--"

He stopped, "I need your help! How are you so calm?!" Nino asked and Adrien smirked, "One minute Marinette... I promise I'll be right back." He said, dragging Nino away as I patiently waited for his return. Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around.

My lips parted, "Luka? What are you doing here?" I asked. He sighed, "Marinette... I know me being here is really sudden and all... But I would really like to dance with you." I shook my head and crossed my arms, "No Luka, I'm here with Adrien."

"Then where is he?" Luka asked, I frowned. "He's here. He just went to go help out a friend." Luka grabbed my shoulders and forced me to face him. "I'm sorry I left when you needed me the most! I should've stayed and comforted you Marinette..."

He sighed. "I realize it was a mistake... Your dad had passed away and... I know you I should've been there for you." Luka said, his eyebrows narrowed. I shook my head, about to say something before I was pulled back into the embrace of a familiar minty scent.

"Luka was it?" Adrien asked, I could feel his arms tightly surrounding me, holding me in a protective manner. I lightly placed my hands over his arm reassuringly, keeping him close.

"You might not have been aware about Marinette having a boyfriend last time you showed up at her house, with a rose. But now I think you might be overstepping your boundaries and I've reached my limit when it comes to portraying a respectful behavior towards you." Adrien said sternly.

"So I think I have the right to ask why you're here, and why you're asking my girlfriend to dance, let alone trying to explain yourself when you should be giving her space since you left her alone when she was at her weakest." He said, and Luka didn't say anything.

"Why are you suddenly so quiet now that I'm here? Just a minute ago you were asking where I was. Well I'm right here Luka, so continue where you left off, I insist." Adrien challenged, and just like that, I had fallen in love with him, all over again.

Luka gulped. "I might be overstepping my boundaries..." He said, "I've known Marinette since I was fifteen, our parents were friends... I can't just let her go." Luka said, Adrien shook his head. "Then why did you leave in the first place?" Adrien asked, frowning slightly.

"I wanted to focus on my career." Luka said simply. Adrien sighed, "I respect that to a certain extent. But without even saying goodbye, you'd rather pursue your career then Marinette. You obviously can let her go. Just because you weren't able to success in your career, doesn't mean you come running back to Marinette."

Adrien didn't stutter once. And Luka looked so embarrassed I almost felt bad. But Adrien was nothing but right. Luka shouldn't be trying to win me over, especially knowing I'm finally happy with someone else who I've liked since freshman year. It was almost cruel.

"It wasn't easy I swear I didn't mean to hurt you! It was hard for me to leave... But I thought... I thought I could finish my career and then surprise you." He said, his eyes connecting with mine and I looked at the floor. "I wrote a song and everything..." Luka said.

I could feel Adrien hold me even tighter, my heart hammering in my chest. I felt bad for both of them, but I love Adrien more then I could ever love Luka. It wouldn't be fair to lead Luka on and make it seem like he still had a chance. It also wasn't fair to Adrien that I would suddenly just leave him, I would never do that to him.

I love Adrien, and him only.

I slowly escaped from Adrien's embrace, offering him a small smile. "Luka, I'm sorry if I'm hurting you. But Adrien and I are happy, and I love him. I don't have any feelings for you... Please, just leave us be." I finally said.

He gave me this look, this heart breaking look. I never knew how much it would hurt to be rejecting someone, rather then to actually be rejected. I could see the tears forming in his eyes, and the emotion that clouded his expression.

I hurt him.

He suddenly walked out, I wanted to stop him. He was my old friend, and I still cared about him. "Adrien, he'll get akumatized..." I said softly, and he took my hand in his. "I'm sorry Marinette... I may have gone too far." Adrien said and I shook my head, "No, it's not your fault."

"Let's go find him then." Adrien insisted, and I nodded. "I'll search outside, you try to find him somewhere in the school." I said and Adrien have me a worried look, but agreed. We both parted ways, as I ran out of the school and down the steps.

It was raining, and there was thunder, but I didn't care. I took off my heels and placed them to the side. "Luka!" I screamed, it was only a matter of time before he was akumatized. It would only take a second and I hoped that he would fight it.

I could see a faint figure across the road, I would take my chances. It was a red light, so I crossed the street. "Luka!" I called, he turned around, his eyes widening as the red light didn't stop the car that was headed my way. "Marinette stop!" He yelled, I continued to run.

The wet slippery roads had caused the car to swerve, I gasped as the headlights of the car highlighted my skin. The last thing I heard was the excruciating sound of the car horn, the last thing I felt was the base of my skull colliding with the street.

And then... Silence...