Chapter 12 - Sophie

#10

My eyes fluttered open and the bright lighting hit my eyes.

I groaned as I reached up to touch the bandage wrapping my head and there was a searing in my right temple. Fresh air filled my nostrils as I remembered Fitz shot us.

We were in the lost cities

I sighed. I looked up and saw that I was facing the ceiling. My head was resting on something soft.

I leaned my head even further and saw Keefe. I gasped, he had a gnarly gash on his left cheek which a blood-soaked bandage blanketed.

His head was leaned forward, and my head was resting on his lap. I jolted up, trying strenuously not to wake him up. I straightened and rested my feet on the ground as I discreetly moved Keefe's head so it was relaxing on the wall.

I looked around and saw that the ceiling, floor, and walls were gray concrete and the other end of the wall was covered with tremendous metal bars. The sides of walls were covered with an immense bench with me and Keefe sitting on it

"Babe?"

I turned my head to see Keefe gazing back at me and relief immersed me. "Keefe." I leaned forward to give him a quick embrace before pulling away.

"W-where are we?" Keefe asked, tousling his hair, making it look even better

"In the lost cities, I-I think," I reeled my head

Keefe nodded, and he grimaced. "The last thing I remember is being shot by a melder by Fitz," Keefe grumbled Fitz's name.

I bit my lip as Keefe's eyes strayed towards my temple. His gaze diminished. "How are you feeling?" His finger softly touched my temple, so I couldn't feel it.

"I'm fine," I touched his cheek, softly. "What about you?"

"I'm o-o...." Keefe's voice lingered off as I leaned in to kiss his wounded cheek. I inclined back.

"I'm fine, now," Keefe said, beaming

I raised my eyebrows. "Uh-huh," I said, doubtfully

"Relax, Foster," Keefe pulled me so I was resting on his chest. He leaned in towards my ear and relaxed his chin on my shoulder. "I'm fine,"

I nodded. "Mm, okay,"

Keefe leaned in so that his healthy cheek was touching mine.

And thoughts drowned me like rock descending into the ocean

Fitz shot us

Councillor

Councillor Alina had come, too

My face twisted into an anxious expression as I remembered what Alina had said. "We're going to have a tribunal,"

Keefe and I both cringed

It sounded worse when I said it out loud.

"It's f-fine," Keefe sputtered, moving his head to face me. "Right?"

I bit my lip, as thoughts raced through my mind

You shall be exiled!

Cleaning poop?

I let out a trembling breath as I slumped against Keefe's chest. "I-I don't know, baby,"

Did I just-