Chapter 15 - Keefe

I appear in front of Oralie's castle and look at the imparter Sophie had pressed into my hand.

Sophie

Tears stream down my face but I quickly wipe them away. I've never cried this much before. It's just that... Sophie left, and it's tearing me apart bit by bit, inch by inch, starting with my heart.

A shaky breath escapes and I look at the imparter, I hold it to my mouth and whisper. "Show me Dexter Dizznee,"

Dex's face appears, and he has a crease between his eyebrows. "What do you need, Councillor Ora- Keefe?" Dex's face softens as his bloodshot eyes meet mine. "Keefe? What do you n- why do you have Councillor Oralie's imparter?"

I clear my throat. "I'll tell you later could you just come and, uh, p-pick me up? I don't have a crystal,"

Dex nods. "Where are you?"

"Oralie's castle," I answer and try hard not growl her name

"I'll be right there," Dex says and his face disappears

I lean my head back and let out loud breaths trying to calm my heartbeat down as Sophie's taste still lingered in my mouth.

"Ready?"

I jump and I look to see who it is.

Dex

"Uh, yeah," I say and my voice breaks as try to swallow Sophie's taste but it won't budge

Tears in my eyes as I remember what she had said

I'll always be with you

I clear my throat and look away, blinking my tears away

Dex puts his hand on my shoulder, and I turn my head to face him

"Keefe, I-I know it's hard. But it'll.... It'll get better," he looks at me with his wide periwinkle eyes.

But could feel the lie behind those words and the deep sadness that Dex was carrying with him.

But it'll never be FINE without her

I sigh, shrug off his hand, and I force myself to nod.

"So, where do you want to go?" Dex asks, changing the subject

That's a good question, where should I go?

I don't want to face my father

But I'll have to sooner or later

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair. "Uh, I guess the Shores of Solace?"

I cringe as the words leave my mouth

Dex nods, not noticing my cringe. "We could go to Rimeshire and use you could use the Leapmaster,"

I give him an inadequate nod and he holds his clear home crystal to the light.

***

A cold breeze sways against my face as we appear in front of Rimeshire. Dex leads me inside as I brace myself for any boisterous noises or crashes but none hit my ears.

Dex must sense my confusion because he says: "The triplets are in the elite levels, now,"

"Oh, c-cool," I say and I blink hard trying to get the swollen-feeling to disappear