Chapter 14 - Sophie

One time I was about sixteen years old and I fell off a tree, ten feet to the ground. It was as if the impact had knocked every wisp of air from my lungs, and I lay there struggling to inhale, to exhale, to do anything. That's how I feel now, trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as Alina's words bounce around inside my skull.

"WHAT?" Keefe jolts up, so quick it looked like he got dizzy. "You can't do that!"

"I'm afraid we just did," Alina implies

"She did nothing!" Keefe yells, his hands flying

"She attacked a Councillor," Alina verifies

Wait- how do they know that?

Goblins

I slightly cursed them

"T-that was because... she did it for a REASON!" I saw Keefe look at me at the corner of my eye. I was staring at my hands unsure what to say. This was both bad and great.

"Sophie, are you going to say anything!?" Keefe asks, shaking his head

I twist my fingers in response

Keefe looks back at the Councillors who all looked uncomfortable except for Alina. "There has to be something other than Exile! Like any other punishment!" Keefe looks at Oralie. "Are you seriously going to let that happen?"

I look up, curious what she'll say but all she does is stare at the floor. I sigh and look back at my hands. "I-it's fine Keefe, I honestly don't care,"

"Fine? No, Sophie, it's NOT fine!"

Alina crosses her arms. "I don't get why you care so much about this,"

Keefe groaned. "Because she's my..." I looked up as Keefe gestured to us, struggling for the right words. "I'm her b-b...." Keefe let out a frustrated groan. "It doesn't matter! This is absolutely unnecessary. EXILE IS UNNECESSARY!"

A few of the Councillors looked offended, and some looked ashamed.

"Maybe this is a little un-" I look up to see who spoke and.... It was Councillor Terik. I didn't even notice him a few minutes ago.

"It is," Alina interrupted, she gestures to some other Councillors. "We had a vote,"

Councillor Terik steps back, looking at the floor

Alina looks back at Keefe. "I suggest you keep quiet. Do you want to go to Exile too?"

My legs jolt me up as if they had a mind of their own. I grab Keefe's soft, familiar hand, Keefe turns his head to look at me and I shake my head no.

He sighs and clenches my hand tighter; I give him a reassuring smile- a one we both know is fake.

Keefe sighs again. "When.... When is- are y-you," Keefe shook his head, and he cleared his throat. He grumbles, "nevermind,"

"Today at 4," Oralie chokes out.

I look at the clock and it's three

Maybe I should just count down to my doom

An hour

I rub my sore eyes and sit back down at the bench letting go of Keefe's hand.

"Today?" Keefe manages and clears his throat

Bronte nods and I let out a shaky breath. I can feel my heart feel heavy and tears coat my eyes but I quickly blink them away.