CHAPTER SIX

Nandini carefully hid the envelope Zeke brought for her in her handbag and walked with head held high back inside the Malhotra mansion where she was greeted by an overjoyed Neyonika who was heading out earing an elegant dress.

"Look who's back?" Neyonika exclaimed as she welcomed her daughter in law with a warm hug.

"Good evening mom" Nandini wished her.

"Good evening my kid. Where is your better half. Aren't you guys supposed to be together all the time after your wedding?" Neyonika teased her.

"It's actually my fault. I thought the meetings will be long so i told him that i'll be late but my last client ditched me so here i am early." Nandini smiled making herself comfortable on the sofa while a butler got her water.

"No problem. You know you can clad up in a pretty dress and surprise him with a nice romantic dinner. Common you guys just got married." Neyonika suggested walking back and forht.

"Mom! You're supposed to be my mother in law and have me do household chores not whoo your son. And moreover it is you who's looking beautiful today. Any plans with dad?" Nandini chuckled.

"Oh shut up i am more like your friend here. This is not a television drama that i'll make you rub the floors. And yes i am going out for some dinner plans with my friends." Neyonika replied later adding " Oh god i am so sorry i would have loved to chat with you but i am getting very late." 

"Ofcourse go on have fun" Nandini waved Neyonika a goodbye.

"Not a bad idea though mom. Dinner date it is" Nandini smirked to herself.

********************************

Manik stopped his car in the driveway and sat back to a take a moment for himself. Who said handling women in your life is easy, do hell with two women. He gently kept his head on the stearing wheel and closed his eyes. 

Seconds later he heard a knock on his window that made him jolt up. 

"Sir is everything okay?" his gate guard asked. Can't people let him have a minute of peace.

"No i am okay" Manik locked his car and dismissed the guard, right now all he wanted was a long undisturbing nap till tomorrow.

He walked inside the house and felt it oddly silent. A butler quickly came to his service and took the laptop bag from him.

"Where's everyone?" Manik enquired.

"Sir went on a business trip for 2 days and Neyonika ma'am went out for dinner. She said that she'll be a little late." the butler informed.

"Okay and Nandini ma'am. Is she home yet?" Manik asked for his wife.

"Yes sir ma'am came back home a few hours ago and right now she is in her room. May i leave, she told all of us to get back to our quarters and rest" the butler replied.

"Yeah sure. Just keep this bag and folders in my study area." Manik explaied the butler and left for his room. It was a little odd for him, Nandini told him that she was gonna be late today, if he knew that she'll get her work done early. He would have picked her up, atleast would have got saved from a long hours lunch with Alya that felt like a loop of his punishment.

He entered the room to only find it aesthetically lit enough to see the surroundings but dim enough to have a soft vibe. At the remorse end of their room balcony stood his lovely wife lighting up a candle in the middle of the tabel. The floral dress made her look like an enchanted summer that could provide you instant peace.

Nandini turned around and saw Manik still at the door with his mouth ajar and she knew that her plan worked. 

"Welcome home." she greeted him with a soft smile.

"Hey. I thought you said that you will be late today. If i had known i would have picked you up from work" Manik gave her a slight hug.

"The old fashion day, my last client ditched and then i thought i shouldn't bother you." Nandini explained.

"You will never BOTHER me. Remember that." Manik stroked her cheek. The intensity with which her eyes bore into his was doing magic on him and suddenyl the only light that was left in the room for him was coming through her. Her illuminating presence made his heart go on a roller coaster ride.

Nandini too couldn't stop herself from being dragged by his aura. No matter what this man was doing, one thing was sure for her  , he was tying her to him in a feeling unknown. But she couldn't let that happen and hence she was the first to break the eye lock.

"umm yeah" Nandini looked anywhere but him. Damn this wasn't supposed to happen with her.

"So candles and food?" Manik spoke trying to break the awkward silence.

"You said we were gonna have a family dinner tonight but then dad went away and Neyonika has some plans so." Nandini raised her brows.

"Yeah quite a family i have." Manik rubbed the back of his neck.

"So i thought why can't we have dinner. I mean aren't we family to each other." Nandini smiled.

"yes. yes we are." Manik smiled back a happy one. "I'll just get freshed" Manik left for the washroom and Nandini settled the leftover table.

Manik got out wearing a tee and jeans trying to match his wife's attire. They both sat down , and uneasy silence between them.

"So first dy after wedding at office huh?" Manik asked.

"You have no idea how hectic it was and cabir that idiot-" and with the lead Nandini started blabbering about her day.

All manik could do was admire how her facial expressions changed at each of her sentence. Listening to her was  a melody and not like something he had to bear this afternoon.

Nandini noticed Manik staring and her and so she stopped.

"Oops sorry. You tell me. Umm how was lunch?" Nandini asked him with a smirk on her face.

"Lunch? I mean it was like okay" Manik replied in astonishment and words stuttering out of his mouth. It was definitely a coincidence that she asked about lunch. Right?

"Oh god i forgot to get the desert from the fridge. I'll just be back" Nandini squinted out of the room and Manik chuckled at his clumsy wife when suddenly his phone started ringing and the caller id replaced the smile with a frown.

Alya.

He stood up and walked inside his bedroom but before he could pick the call, the surroundings went blank.

**************************

"I found it." Nandini spoke to the other person on the call with a genuine smile while staring at the laptop screen ahead.