SEVEN

unedited

seven. the genius level model plane

OF COURSE RHEA HADN'T EXPECTED SPENCER TO OPEN THE DOOR WHEN SHE KNOCKED. From the numerous baskets outside his apartment, it was clear he was ignoring each and every visit he received. Nonetheless, she put the casserole dish covered in plastic wrap outside, neatly tucked between the nuts and the lilies.

She heard a soft scuffle on the other side of the door, and she lay her hand flat against the wood. Everything she'd practised in the car seemed to disappear in front of her.  "Hey, Spencer. It's me. Rhea. Listen...I heard about what happened and I'm so sorry you have to go through that. I...I know I'm not the closest person to you, but if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. I, uh, brought you some dinner. Just a beef casserole. I don't remember you saying you didn't eat meat, but if you don't just text me and next time I'll bring something else. Or you could tell me right now and I'll run to the store. Obviously, it's up to you. I just wanted to make sure you were taking care of yourself, especially during such a difficult time. I'm...I'm just rambling now. Sorry. Look, I'll be back tomorrow with some more food for you, okay? Text or call if you need anything."

She swallowed, listening to the door creak. Spencer was probably sitting on the other side. She crouched down, her loving nature wanting nothing more than to comfort the man face to face. But like she said, they weren't the closest. They had a mutual friend in Daisy and sometimes saw each other at trivia and the elementary school. The past few months were allowing a steady relationship to bloom, but they hadn't reached such a level of compassion.

She couldn't imagine how he must be feeling. The pain of losing a loved one was unparalleled, and the fact that Maeve had died so horrifically, she was clueless in how to support him.

So, she decided that perhaps for the first few days, it was best to leave him alone. When he wanted to see people, he'd choose to do so. So, her lips pursing, Rhea took a step back. "I'll see you later, Spencer."

★☆

"Did you see him?" Daisy asked as soon as Rhea had stepped into the apartment. She was greeted by the pregnant woman and her almost-step-son, Jack. Rhea didn't hesitate in embracing both of them. She could hear the Beatles White album playing softly from the turntable in the corner - a record Aaron loved, and Daisy hated.

Jack, one of the sweetest kids she'd ever met, pulled her in the direction of his new model plane, which was currently in pieces, scattered across the wooden coffee table. Aaron sat on the edge of the couch with two pieces in hand, looking confused out of his mind. For a unit chief of the FBI, it was clear he had no idea what he was doing.

"No, but I heard him," she replied over her shoulder, dropping to the floor beside Jack so that he could show her the instructions. Daisy sighed softly, handing her a cup of hot chocolate she'd made beforehand. Rhea accepted it thankfully, holding it in one hand as she grinned over at Jack's dad. "You good there, Aaron?"

The man looked up at, exasperated. His cheeks were flushed with frustration, as he had hoped this activity would calm him down, not stress him out further. He wasn't wearing his usual work suit, instead a loose pair of jeans and a pullover sweater, which made him so much better suited to his partner, who often wore cardigans and fluffy socks instead of dresses and skirts. "His other ones were so much easier."

Daisy sat beside Aaron and picked up the box so that she could read the back. She hummed, an amused smile gracing her lips. "Did you check the difficulty before you bought it?"

She handed it to Rhea, who snorted at the fine print. "I think genius level is overselling your talents a bit."

Aaron flashed her a joking glare, before he managed to fit a piece to the skeleton of the plane. Everyone cheered for him, and he dramatically lay back into the couch so that Daisy could comfort him. "You're a genius to me, Hotch."

Rhea swallowed her laugh as her friend grinned her way, like she was trying her best not to tease the man in her arms. Aaron knew exactly what the woman was doing, but he pretended not to notice, instead relishing in the love he was receiving.

Looking at the couple made Rhea want what they had. To feel completely content with someone and to trust them entirely - unlocked something deep within. It was a desire to love and be loved.

But it was rare, and Rhea had no idea if she'd already missed her opportunity.

★☆

A couple of hours later, Daisy and Rhea had managed to dip out of the apartment to have some time to themselves. The pregnant woman was pushing the shopping cart as they wandered aimlessly through the supermarket, picking and choosing pointless items that neither of them needed all too much.

"You never mentioned he'd been coming to visit," Daisy hummed as she tossed some chewable vitamins in the trolley. She insisted they were for Jack, but Rhea knew she liked the taste of the strawberry ones. "That's really sweet of him."

"Yeah," Rhea smiled. "I thought it might be nice for Katie to have some support from an adult who's made a career out of the things she loves. It's been so perfect; they get along like a house on fire."

"Speaking of," Daisy peered through the shelving to try and find the last box of Toy Story bandaids. "You should've seen the serial arsonist we caught a couple weeks ago. Let's just say the fires weren't the only thing that was smoking hot."

Rhea snickered. "You're literally knocked up with your boss's baby and you're talking about how you find criminals attractive?"

"Just cause I can't order doesn't mean I can't look at the menu," Daisy shrugged, her lips curved in a mischievous smile. Rhea shook her head despite her amusement. "But I'll tell you what, Aaron and Jack have been amazing through all this. I have no idea how we're gonna cope when my stomach's the size of a boulder."

"I'm sure you've been through worse," Rhea teased and Daisy pulled a face, glancing down at her exposed arm where her gunshot scar resided. Rhea nudged the woman softly with her elbow, knowing that the joking tone was masking fear of motherhood. "You'll be fine."

"I'll be fine," Daisy leaned into her friend for a moment, before she held her stomach and looked down. "We'll be fine."

★☆

OKAY I KNOW THIS CHAPTER IS REALLY SHORT BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE SO UHHH HERE