TEN

unedited

TEN. THE MUSEUM TRIP

RHEA SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT SOMETHING WOULD RUIN HER DAY. She'd been looking forward to the Smithsonian trip for over a month now, especially since Spencer agreed to chaperone. He'd shown up early in a a shirt and tie with a cardigan over the top, surprisingly eager to get the day started. Katie had practically leapt into his arms when he stepped into the classroom, babbling about how happy she was to see him again. 

The smile on Spencer's face was the biggest she'd seen. 

By midday, everything was going perfectly smooth, with no kids running off or breaking things. They'd made it through the majority of the Air and Space exhibits, with fun facts being thrown around by everyone. The kids were finishing their booklets, she hadn't lost control, and she'd even remembered to pack her own food. 

Currently, she was standing with Alice outside the bathroom, waiting for some of the other girls to come out so that they could all go to lunch. Alice was holding her hand, as she got nervous on field trips. The bright spirit didn't like the crowds of adults - she preferred the confines of the classroom where she could be herself. 

For a moment, Rhea's eyes were caught by Spencer, who was talking enthusiastically to Katie and Louis about the Wright aeroplane suspended above them. Her lips curved into a smile at the sight of the admiration the kids had for the doctor, asking him questions as if he were their tour guide. 

Since he didn't have a case at the moment and he'd finished all his paperwork, there was no trouble in him joining the class. He'd been back at the BAU for a couple of weeks now and was more or less settled in. He and Rhea spoke regularly, as he knew she'd always sit and listen when he needed to talk. Samuel wasn't the biggest fan of the man, as he worried he was taking her help for granted.

But Rhea insisted he'd finally reached the final stage of grief; acceptance. Obviously the hurt wouldn't leave him for a long time, but he had plenty of good distractions to keep him occupied for the time being. Samuel could only sit back and let the friendship continue.

"Miss Reeves," Alice tugged at the woman's sleeve. Rhea looked down at the small girl who was pointing at her pocket. "Your phone is ringing."

Rhea's eyes widened. She hadn't even realised, she was too caught up in staring across the room. Hurriedly, she took out the device and checked the contact. Amy Parson, the social worker in charge of Katie's case. She flipped it open and held it up to her ear. "Amy, hi!"

"Rhea," there was something about Amy's tone of voice, but Rhea didn't let it get her down. "Are you able to talk right now?"

"Uh," Rhea trailed off as the last few kids left the restroom, joining back up with their buddies. She pulled the phone away for a moment and looked up at Samuel, who had volunteered to chaperone (he just wanted to day off, to be honest). "Do you mind taking them to the Wright plane and doing a headcount?"