THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN. GRACE

FOUR LONG HOURS LATER, DAISY AND AARON WELCOMED A LITTLE BABY GIRL. She screamed and cried and slept with her tiny lips parted, just like her mother did. Rhea thought she was the most beautiful little thing in the world. The way her little fingers curled around her father's thumb, how she stopped crying once Jack had lightly kissed her forehead, and how her grey eyes stared up at the woman who had carried her for the past nine months - it was like she'd brought all the good back into the world.

However, that wasn't the case. As Rhea sat by Daisy's hospital bed, bouncing Jack on her lap, Aaron was checking his phone anxiously, as his team was in the field without him. After the death of his unit chief, Erin, his protective nature had been kicked into overdrive. He hadn't left the baby's side, watching over her like a guardian angel. It was hard to think that something so perfect was in so much danger already. Rhea knew about what happened to Aaron's late ex-wife, Haley, and the toll it had taken on him. He couldn't lose any other members of his family. But, that also included the people he worked with.

Rhea adjusted her grip on Jack, who was starting to fall asleep in her arms. She had been watching the man for a few minutes now, concerned about his restlessness. He hadn't uttered a word about the case when Daisy had been awake, but now that she was finally resting, he was showing his stress. "Aaron."

The man looked up, quick to assume something was wrong. He saw the godmother of his newborn holding his sleeping son, worry written on her face. "What is it?"

Rhea pursed her lips, her eyes drifting to Daisy. The woman had always been an ugly sleeper, her mouth wide open and hair sprawled in all directions. Still, it made her smile. "She'd understand. Go catch the bad guy."

Aaron hesitated. "But-"

"It's your job," she said softly. "We'll all be here when you get back."

She could tell he needed to go, but she could also see the clear reluctance in his eyes. He didn't want to leave them, he couldn't. But what about his other family? "They're in choppers just outside the city now. I could take the car and meet them on location."

He looked down at the baby and pressed his lips gently to her forehead. He did the same to Jack and then moved onto Daisy, softly touching her face. She stirred, her eyes fluttering open to see him. "Aaron...is everything okay?"

He dipped his head to kiss her, his hand reaching up to stroke her hair with upmost care. "The team's in trouble."

She grunted softly, shifting under the thin covers. "Go."

"Are you sure?"

"Go be a hero," she murmured, managing a tired smile. "And tell me all about it when you get back."