TWENTY-TWO

long chapter and written a little different so that I could include everything I needed to!! hope you enjoy nonetheless!!! 

TWENTY-TWO. MEXICO AND MEDICINE

EVERYTHING WAS FUZZY. His vision, his hearing, and his heartbeat. The only thing he could register was a faint buzzing sound, like when a television would cut out during a thunderstorm and ring at a high frequency. He hated that. Maybe that was why it took him so long to get one for his home when he moved out. He'd never really been one for technology anyway - unless it was to watch Doctor Who or communicate with his peers and loved ones. 

Saying Doctor Who was the last thing on his mind before he was thrown in a jail cell would have been amusing to many, but for a genius whose brain ran at a million miles an hour, the world was turning slow enough to make him sick. People were shouting at him and pushing him around, and all he could do was try his best to understand. But, for once in his life, he couldn't. 

★☆

Rhea entered Spencer's apartment just as a slap rang through the main room. Instinctively, she dropped her bag and everything she held in her hands to run forward and deescalate the scenario without even fully processing it in the first place. She had no idea what had happened, but she was going to make sure it didn't happen again. She forced herself between Spencer and Diana, the former of which was cradling his face. "Whoa, what's going on here?!"

"Rhea, stay out of it," Spencer warned, but Rhea didn't move a step. He'd been hit by his mother, who clearly seemed to be having a break of some kind. So, she reached out for Diana, who swatted her hands away. "Rhea..."

"Diana, why did you do that?!" Rhea tried her best to keep a calm tone of voice, but she couldn't help the panic that seeped through. "What happened?"

"He was trying to poison me!" Diana threw an accusatory finger at her son, causing Spencer to flinch in fear of being slapped again. Rhea didn't make a single movement to get out of her way; she was going to stand there and take any necessary blows. "I don't want his medicine! I want to go home!"

"Diana, come with me," Rhea took a step forward, taking the woman by the hands. Diana struggled initially, but Rhea had such a soothing voice, and she seemed to know exactly what to do...so she trusted her. Rhea spared a glance over her shoulder as she led Diana down the hallway, as if to say to Spencer that she'd be right back. He could barely look her in the eye. He seemed heartbroken and humiliated.

They stepped inside Diana's bedroom and Rhea let her go, allowing her to sit down on the bed. She then moved to the chest of drawers, where she rummaged for a hairbrush before wandering back over quietly. She stopped in front of Diana, causing the mother to look up. Her sunken in eyes narrowed in suspicion."What are you doing?"

"My mom used to brush my hair to calm me down when I was little," Rhea explained. She decided to leave out the part of it being her only good memory with her. "You'd be surprised how comforting it is."