SEVENTEEN

UNEDITED

content warning; child neglect, abuse, depression, ptsd (just a whole lot of angst as well)

SEVENTEEN. CONFIDING IN THE OLD LADY AND THE YOUNG MAN

"WHAT'S UP WITH YOU, KID?" LOUISA WALKED INTO HER OFFICE TO SEE RHEA LYING ON THE FLOOR, ALMOST FAST ASLEEP. It was unusual for the teacher to make an appearance in the principal's office during the school day, but at this point, she just needed some advice from an elder.

Said elder stepped over her, discarding her purse on her desk, before bending down to sit beside her. She groaned as her knees clicked, and rose up again. "God fucking damn it."

Rhea chuckled, not having to open her eyes to see the pained look on her face. She was lucky the kids outside couldn't hear her blasphemy. She wasn't religious herself, but she knew that if the students heard, then they'd tell their parents, who would want Louisa out and into a retirement home. "I appreciate you trying."

"Anything for you," she grumbled, wandering over to the couch and lying down on it. Rhea sighed, relaxing her shoulders a little as silence washed over the room once more. "So, do you want to talk, or do you want to just lie here until the bell goes? Whatever you want, I'm game."

Tears were pooling in the crevices of her eyes. She knew Louisa wasn't watching, so she could get away with a little emotion. "Maybe a little bit of both?"

Louisa hummed. "Hit me, sweetheart."

Rhea sighed. "Daisy had to go away...for work. I won't be able to talk to her for ages, and I don't know what I'm gonna do."

"What about that doctor of yours?"

"I don't think he gets why I need her around," she muttered, a tear rolling down the side of her face. "She's the only one that knows me, you know? It took me ages to open up to you and Samuel."

"But you did open up, Rhea," Louisa finally glanced over, seeing the younger woman's body shaking as she tried not to cry. Her bottom lip was trembling and she couldn't open her eyes due to the fact that her eyelashes were starting to clump together. "It just takes time."

"Spencer deals with enough as it is," Rhea insisted, lifting her arm to wipe her face. "He doesn't need to deal with my issues on top of all of that."

"But you're dealing with his issues?"

Rhea fell silent. "It's different-"

"He's confided in you because he trusts you," Louisa noted. "Maybe you should do the same. He's not going to look at you any different."

"But what if he does?"

Louisa exhaled softly and got to her feet. Rhea heard the sound of tissues being yanked out of a box, and soon enough her leg was being kicked. She struggled to look up, hardly being able to see out of her lashes, but she eventually sat up and viciously rubbed her eyes. "Rhea..."