FOURTEEN

unedited

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN. THREE MONTHS LATER

IT SEEMED LIKE A LIFETIME HAD PASSED SINCE SPENCER HAD COME KNOCKING AT THE CLASSROOM DOOR. It was the last day of school before summer break, and Rhea had let the kids decide on a few movies to watch. They were scattered around the classroom, even the teacher herself reclined on the floor, sorting out little notes and gifts for each of her students. Alice was coming back and forth from the staffroom with bags of popcorn, having taken it upon herself to be the 'chef' of the day.

Carlos was in the corner, quietly eating his nut-free chocolate and paying every ounce of attention inside him to Hercules on the portable television. Louis was at his side, fast asleep under one of the blankets that had been brought in by Rhea. He wasn't looking forward to going home for two months.

"Miss Reeves, Doctor Spencer's here!" Chloe called, jumping up to her feet and running over to the door. She swung it open to reveal the doctor himself, and Rhea perked up in surprise at the sight of him. He was nicely dressed, as per usual, his freshly chopped hair still managing to dangle in his eyes. He looked...nice. He looked better. "Hi, Spencer!"

"Hey, Chloe," he smiled down at her, letting her hug his legs before watching her run off to help Alice. He lifted his hand in a wave to greet the rest of the class. "Hey guys! You looking forward to summer vacation?"

A chorus of answers hit him like a truck, and he glanced over at Rhea with a slightly bewildered expression. She chuckled, her lips spread wide enough to show her teeth. She pushed herself up from the carpet and climbed over the students, waving Spencer to follow her to the back of the classroom.

He gripped the strap of his bag as he made his way over, trying not to step on any fingers or toes. Most of the kids reached up to give him a high five or a hug, and he gladly accepted them. It made Rhea feel quite warm inside, knowing that he welcomed affection from kids, as he knew they wouldn't hurt him. For the most part, they were kind and pure, and they just wanted to be loved. Just like him.

"Hey," she pulled out one of the chairs for him at the table in the back corner. He sat down beside her and fiddled with his dark locks. "You alright?"

"I'm good," he couldn't help but smile. He removed his bag and rested it on his
lap. "That's always the first thing you ask, you know; if I'm doing okay."

She averted her eyes, fiddling with her fingers. There was a strange feeling in her gut, the anxiety of not knowing what to say eating her up inside. "Yeah, well I've gotta be sure."

"I appreciate it," he said softly, before quieting down. He looked over at the television, where Hercules was saving two young boys from being trapped under a rock. He'd never seen this film before, but it was likely inaccurate in comparison to the original mythology.

He told Rhea this.

"Yeah, I know," she mused. Regardless of the accuracy, it was still one of her favourites. "It assumes Zeus and Hera had a healthy relationship."