𝔳 | third year

The next day, in Potions class, Malfoy makes it his incentive to terrorize me all class. I am sitting next to Hermione and she looks fed up with both of us. Malfoy has tossed papers at me, turned my book pages to dust, hexed my quill to twist itself around my fingers, and more. I wonder why he cares so much about that incident at the Shrieking Shack.

"Psst, Larkspur." He tries to get my attention, but I ignore him. I wonder what his bloody problem is. Maybe his father didn't answer his letters and he needs someone else to annoy.

Another poorly-folded paper animal is thrown over to my desk. I am surprised Professor Snape hasn't noticed Malfoy's antics this class period, and if he has, he's just blatantly ignoring them. I unfold the note and read it quickly.

"Blood traitor bitch" is scrawled on the page, with a rude drawing of me. I turn to Malfoy and laugh sarcastically, ripping the note in two. Hermione seems to notice the crude artwork, and gives Malfoy a rude look as well.

"Sorry, Larkspur." She whispers, "He's too arrogant for his own good." I smile and nod my head, focusing my attention back to my Potions notes. Though I never really speak to Granger, I feel like she's somebody I'd like to have on my side. I can tell she's a pretty smart and outspoken witch with good morals.

"Malfoy!" Snape suddenly bursts out, and Draco's head pops up from under his desk, his eyes meeting Snape's, "Would you mind telling me why you're mumbling under your breath below your desk?"

Malfoy stutters, trying to hide his wand behind his back. I wonder what stupid hex he's placed upon me.

"I hope hexing Larkspur's shoelaces to tie themselves together isn't your idea of a flirtation." Snape scowls at Malfoy, "That'll be twenty points from Slytherin." Snape waves his wand, and I can feel my shoelaces tightening themselves into little bows. Malfoy rolls his eyes and I glare at him. I wonder if he actually was flirting with me, if he even knows what flirting is. Doesn't matter anyways, because I would never in a million years have any sort of feelings for Malfoy. Just the thought of it boils my blood. 

After class, I rush out, trying not to make eye contact with Malfoy as he follows behind me to Charms class. I hold my books tight to my chest as he passes me, walking hurriedly. Suddenly, I feel something going on in my shoes, and before I can even look down, I am falling to the floor. I quickly regain my composure, untying my shoelaces from each other, and gathering my things. I storm after Draco.

"What the hell is your problem, Malfoy?" I snap at him, catching up to him in the hall. He scoffs at me, "Other than the fact that my mother is a Muggle, of course." I roll my eyes, meeting his gaze. He looks closely at my face, studying me. 

"You're bleeding." He says simply, and walks away from me. I rub my thumb against my cheek, which stings from the impact of the fall, and it comes away with a droplet of blood upon it. I whisper a plethora of curses about that horrible boy under my breath, then follow him to Charms class, stomping my feet a little too angrily. 

Later, as I study in the great hall for my History of Magic test, Hermione approaches me, looking as if she has something on her mind.

"Y/N?" She asks, gaining my attention. I look up from my open textbook and notes with a confused eyebrow raised, "I noticed this earlier, but was wondering if I hallucinated it, until I thought on it more..." Her sentence lingers off.

"What?" I ask, confused. 

"Malfoy wasn't hexing your shoes, he was undoing a hex that Pansy put on them." Hermione says, and my mouth drops open in shock, "I wasn't sure about it until I saw Pansy perform the same hex on your shoes in the hallways."

"Why would Draco ever do something like that?" I ask, then laugh out loud, "I don't believe you. This must be some form of a joke. He hates me!"

"Who hates you?" Ron approaches us, laughing with Potter. My cheeks blush red, and I hope none of them notice. The famous Harry Potter and his meddlesome friends, all three talking to me.

"Nothing, just your prank didn't work on me." I say, hearing Hermione sigh from above me as I look back down at my books, "I wonder how you got Professor Snape in on it as well." I think back to Snape calling Malfoy's antics "flirtatious."

"I don't know what you're even talking about Y/N, you can choose to not believe me, but I witnessed Pansy mumbling under her breath before Draco even got under his desk." Hermione looks fed up, but I know Malfoy much better than I know her, and I wouldn't put it past the golden trio to mess with me. 

"Funny joke, guys," I fake a laugh, "But Malfoy is incapable of feeling anything good for anyone in his black heart. It's insulting that you think I'm that foolish." My hand wanders to the small bandage covering my scrape.

"Nice talking to you, Larkspur," Hermione scoffs, and walks away with the other two boys. I roll my eyes, my hand dropping from my wound, and continue annotating my History of Magic textbook. 

Hermione couldn't possibly be telling the truth, could she?