𝔵𝔳𝔦 | fourth year

In my only free period without my friends, I sit alone in the great hall. All of them have taken extra elective classes during this period so I am all alone, with a book on Astronomy open. I try to read it but my head can only think about that boy on my Quidditch team, Cassius Warrington.

(this is Cassius, btw...)

Luckily, because of the way I think about Cassius, I think my confusing feelings for Draco seem to be subsiding

Luckily, because of the way I think about Cassius, I think my confusing feelings for Draco seem to be subsiding. As I think about the Chaser's beautiful, chiseled face, Hermione plops down across from me, opening a book angrily. 

I meet her gaze, raising an eyebrow, "What's wrong?" I whisper as low as I can, since Snape is patrolling the aisles of the hall. 

She rolls her eyes in annoyance and glances at Harry and Ron who snicker amongst themselves. Snape looks far more interested in them then us, "Ron just knows how to get on my nerves. He seems to think it's funny to ask me to the Yule Ball as a joke."

"What?" I glance at the two boys. Snape forces their heads down to look back at their work, "Why would he do that? Aren't you two friends."

"Well," She sighs, "He's just messing around but it actually hurts my feelings. He doesn't even believe that I've got an actual date."

"Do you?" I ask her, concerned for myself. I know the Yule Ball is coming up soon, but I didn't know so many people had dates already. I mean, Aurora is going with her boyfriend Micah, who's a Ravenclaw, and Blaise and Daphne are going together, but I just expected myself to go alone.

"Yes, it's actually kind of funny, um..." she trails off as I lean in, excited to hear the name, "Victor Krum asked me. He and I have just talked a couple times in the library and kind of hit it off."

"What? Krum?" I try to hide my extreme amount of shock, "No wonder your friends don't believe you, that amazing! Good for you."

"Well, I never actually told them who I'm going with." She looks down sadly, "I kind of wanted Ron to ask me to go with him, but I like Victor fine and he's nice enough."

"You're lucky. I haven't even found someone to go with," I try to hide my insecurity, "I guess nobody wants to ask a blood traitor's daughter."

 Later, Azazel and I sit in the common room together. He snuggles up against me and my hand pets his head slowly as I read the same Astronomy book. Nobody has really been in and out of the common room lately because groups of girls and boys just mill about the castle, waiting for someone to ask them to the ball. 

The door creaks open, and for a second I get horrible deja vu to the time when Draco decided to grace me with his presence alone. But no, it's Warrington. I close my book and hug my knees to my chest, "Hi, teammate."

He smiles, coming to sit across from me, "Hi, new girl," I blush, tucking my hair behind my ear, "How's fourth year treating you." Cassius is a fifth year, which makes him older than me and even more appealing. 

"Fine. I've just been studying, I guess. Everyone seems preoccupied with the Yule Ball, but I still have an Astronomy exam and then I'm all done with classes for the winter."

He leans closer, "So I take it you don't have a date yet?" 

The blush spreading across my face grows, "Yes, you would be correct." I wonder if he's actually thinking about asking me, or if I'm misreading a friendly conversation. The couple of flirtatious glances and conversations filled with smiles and and nerves we've shared in the past weeks since my tryout make me feel like... like I feel something for him.

"So would you be opposed to going with a teammate?" He pauses, "More specifically, me?"

I beam, "I would not be opposed to that." I flirt back to him, "So, that's a yes." 

"Well, I'll be looking forward to seeing you around," He stands up, obviously happy with himself, "And at the Yule Ball, of course." He awkwardly leaves the common room, making it obvious that he had only come in there to ask me that question.

He runs into Draco on his way out. 

Draco looks back at Cassius as he walks away down the hall, a scowl on his face, "What are you doing with that half-blood trash alone in the common room."

I chuckle sarcastically, "You're forgetting I'm half-blood trash as well," I gather my books, preparing to leave, "And why does it matter to you, Malfoy."

"I was-" he hesitates for a second, then sneers, "He asked you to the ball, didn't he?"

"I... Yes, he did." Why do I feel guilty?