𝔵𝔩𝔦𝔦𝔦 | sixth year

I wonder if I'm getting stood up as I stand outside of the door to Slughorn's office, about to open it to enter. I'm wearing dark green, silk dress robes with prominent sleeves and a low neckline. It took a lit of convincing from Daphne for me to step out of the dorms in this, but I feel confident as ever in it. 

Where is he? I see Harry and Luna walking my way, and decide to just enter the party with them. I shouldn't have even waited up for Draco... what did I expect from him?

I mill about the party with Hermione, since she seems to be avoiding her date, Cormac. Nobody really knows who I'm taking yet, save for Daphne, so I'm somewhat dreading the point in time when Draco walks in. As I look towards the door, almost on queue Draco's being pulled in my his collar by Filch, "Take your hands off me, you filthy Squib!" He yells at Filch. Everyone silences themselves to watch the show.

Oh my Merlin. I blush in embarrassment as Filch brings him to Professor Slughorn, "Professor Slughorn, sir, I've just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor," Draco looks a little upset, "He claims to have been invited to your party."

Wow, this is really going to happen in front of everyone, "That's my date," He points to me, "Y/N Larkspur, you can ask her." Faces turn to me and I almost drop my fizzing tea. 

"Is this true, Ms. Larkspur," Slughorn looks to me with a raised eyebrow as Filch loosens his grip on Draco. I realize he he has one of his damned green apples in his hand and he takes a large bite out of it.

"Yes, he's my date." I roll my eyes, gesturing for the boy to come over to me, and Filch releases him. With a few whispers and odd looks, the party goes back to normal, except for the fact that my body has flushed red. 

He saunters up to me, a smirk playing on his lips, "Hi, princess." His gaze travels down my body, admiring me in my dress, "You don't look so bad."

"Thanks," I roll my eyes, not wanting to admit his flirtations really do get to me. My heart patters in my chest at the fact he's so close to me, "Interesting entrance you made. What were you doing acting all suspicious in an upstairs corridor."

His gaze falters for a moment before he regains his arrogant smirk, "None of your business." I wonder what's going on with him, "Would you like to dance?"

I grin, wondering if this will be it for us. It's been too long where we've danced around each other, teasing and flirting and stepping on each other's toes. We're together in public, and Draco seems... proud. No more sneaking around, no more needy hookups, no more secrecy. 

As I take his hand and he leads me to the dance floor... Maybe it will just be me and him now. We spin around each other, him leading me in a gentle waltz, like nothing I've ever experienced with him. He looks genuinely happy. Seconds turn to minutes, and minutes seem to turn to hours as we dance. 

Our eyes never part from each other's as we engage in conversation, laughs and smiles radiating from it. It reminds me of the Yule Ball, when I think I started falling. 

However, our time together is interrupted by Snape grabbing my date's arm to lead him away. He opens his mouth to say something to me, but closes it, an apologetic look on his face. 

And just like that it's over. Still craving his touch and words, I follow slowly behind the two of them, hiding in an alcove in the hallway to maybe catch Draco alone afterwards. 

They walk fiercely past me, and I stay hidden. Snape looks horribly angry, pushing Draco into a wall. Draco spits at him, "Maybe I did hex the Carpathia girl. What's it to you?" My heart jumps to my throat. No.

"I swore to protect you." Snape hisses, "I made the Unbreakable Vow to your mother, boy."

"I don't need protection. I was chosen for this! Out of all others." Draco rasps, and my face falls, "I was chosen to accompany Aurora. Me. I won't fail the Dark Lord." This can't be real. I don't want to cry, but a lonesome tear treads its way down my cheek. Not Draco. Not my Draco. 

"You're afraid, Draco," Snape responds in a hushed voice, "You attempt to conceal it, but it's obvious. Let me assist you." He is afraid. 

"No!" He shouts, his voice echoing off the stone ceiling of the hallway, "I have Petrym. I don't need you!" He storms off to the end of the hallway, and I race through the hidden alcove to the side, Snape disappearing from my view. 

Not my Draco. This isn't real. My steps echo softly off the walls, but it's enough for him to know I'm there, "What did you hear?" He turns to me angrily, like he knew it was me. I back down in fear. 

"Just tell me it's not real." I pull him into a hug, my arms wrapping around his waist. Why am I doing this? He slowly pulls me closer to him, enveloping me in his arms and brushing a hand through my hair. 

"I can't say that, Y/N. I'm sorry." He whispers, and I try to choke back a sob, but he can obviously hear it, because I feel his breathing still, "I'm sorry." He repeats.

"I knew it!" I pull away from him, tears staining my face, and anger pulsing through my body. I shove him away, "Why would you? How could you do this?" 

"I was scared"

"Shut up!" I cut him off with my lashing words, "You just said you were chosen for His bidding. You know what, I don't care. Do it."

"No, Y/N..." He reaches an arm out, grabbing mine, "Don't go. Listen to me... please." His expression softens and I witness the side of him I see only on occasion break out of his rough exterior. 

"No. You keep proving me right." I rip my arm out of his clutch.

"Then let me prove you wrong, Y/N." His eyes shine with tears, his face desperate for me to listen to him, so I do, "I have to do it. I can't come back home if I don't do it."

"If you don't do what...?" I don't want to know the answer. 

"I have to kill Dumbledore."