𝔵𝔩𝔳𝔦𝔦 | sixth year

draco's pov-

What has Aurora done? She's ruined everything. I thought I had smashed that mead to bits after I promised myself and I promised Y/N that I would let Aurora handle it. I shouldn't have let her. 

After Snape lectures me and sends me off to my dormitory to think about what I've done, which I didn't even do, I sneak back out of bed, begging the Room of Requirement to appear. 

It does. And fast, just a hallway down from the dormitories. I take a deep breath and enter, knowing what I have to do. I have to do it quickly, as well. A cage of birds sits above me, on a tall stack of books. I unhook the door and let one of the little magpies jump onto my finger. I say a silent prayer, and walk over to the vanishing cabinet. 

Last time I tried it after Aurora had said she fixed it, my apple vanished, and came back to me, but we've never attempted it on something living. Livid, I put the bird in the cabinet, my hands shaking, and close the door, "Harmonia Nectere Passus," I whisper, strengthening the repair that Aurora started. The bird chirps for while, before it stops. 

It's gone. I breath in shakily, hoping the little thing comes back to me. I think hard, trying to will it to come back. The cabinet shakes a little to tell me something has reappeared. There is no chirping. I open the door slowly, just to find the poor bird laying there, dead. The cabinet has killed it.

No. 

Its frail body just lies there, like my hope. I'm never going to get out of this alive. Mother will be killed, Father will be killed, and I will be killed. The Dark Lord will end our bloodline just because of one mistake I've made. 

Before I even know what's happening, tears spill down my cheeks. I haven't let myself cry in what feels like years, but it's probably only been a few months. 

Whenever I look to Aurora for help, she scares me. It seems like she has nothing to lose. She volunteered for this out of the darkness in her heart, whereas I was forced into it by the Dark Lord himself. I thought Aurora was going to finish it for me, but she's working sloppily. She's too hurried. 

She wants these people to die. She desperately wants to prove her loyalty to the Dark Lord, and wants the Death Eaters that will come to Hogwarts through this vanishing cabinet to get here as fast as possible. 

As much as I want to prove myself. Show the Dark Lord that I'm loyal to him, all I can think about is Y/N. She's half-blood. She would be killed. 

And it would all be my fault. Would I be able to forgive myself? I try to tell myself I would get over it, and that the reward is so much greater than what would happen. But every time I think of her, I think of walking with her. Just having her next to me makes me feel so safe. She mends a deep scar inside of me whenever we're together. 

She feels like silk, tastes like peppermint, and smells like lemongrass. Lemongrass, lemongrass, lemongrass. I kick the cabinet in anger, wanting to scream at everyone who thought they could build my future for me. 

Rain pours down outside, suddenly shrouding the full moon in dark, looming clouds. I wipe my tears, gently pick up the dead bird in my hands, and walk through the castle. I sneak outside through the Herbology classroom exit, and drop to my knees in the soft grass outside. 

The rain soaks me, mixing with my tears as I dig my hands through the ground, breaking apart the grass to dig a hole. I make sure it's deep so that the rainwater doesn't turn it to mud. I lower the magpie into the ground, my tears falling on its sleeping face, and shovel the dirt back on top of it's crumpled body, patting it in. 

My hope is dead.