𝔵𝔵𝔵𝔳𝔦𝔦 | sixth year

Daphne and I grow closer in the next week before school starts. I'm happy to have someone to have by my side that isn't bloody Draco Malfoy or the golden trio. The former being too angering to have a conversation with, and the latter being a little too... exclusive to Gryffindors. 

Aurora gives us menacing looks when we pass her in the halls together, her new choppy, silvery hair making her look a little bit more intimidating than she did before. I try not to look nervous when we pass her, scared of what she might do. If she really is a Death Eater then Hogwarts is danger, and if Draco is one... I don't know what I'll do.  

I spend a lot of time thinking during the empty week, especially when I sit alone in the common room with Azazel. Draco passes me a couple times, flanked with other students, and ignores me. Of course he would, he's so aggravating. 

The D.A. meets once, to discuss this year and our plan. We decide that since there's a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Snape since he's been replaced with Professor Slughorn in Potions, we'll see how he teaches and then go from there. Though it makes me sad that we won't meet that much, I'm happy that this year seems to be somewhat normal. Even though we're practically on lockdown because of You-Know-Who.

The week seems to speed by; however, and the first day of classes seems to creep up on me. I've placed into N.E.W.T. level Potions with Professor Slughorn, along with a voluntary Apparition class, and the rest of the normal schedule. Daphne didn't place, so my only friend in this class seems to be Hermione. 

I walk in a little bit late, to find Slughorn talking to Harry and Ron, who I didn't know placed into this class, however; they grab two used textbooks from the shelves after Slughorn instructs them to. I glance around, recognizing some faces. Lavender Brown, Neville Longbottom, Katie Bell, Cassandra Carpathia, my eyes pan down the row... Draco. 

I knew he was smart, but I didn't expect to see him in N.E.W.T. level Potions. I had to study for weeks just to get a passing grade on my Potions O.W.L., especially since Umbridge ruined the curriculum by making it "Ministry-approved."

"Ms. Larkspur," Slughorn smiles, "An interesting addition to this class. How is your father?" I can't tell if he genuinely means it, or is being sarcastic. A couple people in the class giggle at his bluntness, and I flush red, glancing at Draco. His face twitches a little. He knows what it's like now to have someone universally hated as a father. 

"Um–" I stutter, "He's fine." I find a spot next to Hermione, who offers me a sympathetic smile. However, looking at Slughorn I think he didn't really mean it that way. The humiliation really gets to be though. 

He quickly changes the topic, "Now that everyone's settled in, we can begin the lesson," he chuckles, "I've brewed some concoctions this morning. Now, any ideas what these may be?" I eye the cauldrons in front of me, trying to figure out what they are, but Hermione's hand shoots into the air before I can even think, "Yes, Ms. Granger?"

She glances at one of the cauldrons, "This is Veritaserum, a truth-telling potion, and this is Polyjuice Potion." She approaches the last one and takes the cap off of it. Her expression changes, suddenly shocked, "And this is... Amortentia."

"Ah yes, the most powerful love potion in the world," Professor Slughorn says, "It smells differently to everyone, based on what they desire most. Would you like to share with us what you smell?"

Hermione hesitates, "Uh... I smell freshly mown grass, and new parchment, and... spearmint toothpaste." I can't figure out what I smell... it barely grazes the air near me, but I catch a whiff of green apple and glare at Draco, expecting him to have one of the fruits in his hand... but he doesn't.

The room smells like rain, a crackling fireplace, and green apples. I suck in a breath. It can't be. Before I can even think about the scent coating the room, Slughorn caps the potion and holds out another one in a peculiar glass vial, "Now this potion is known as Felix Felicis, or more commonly, Liquid Luck. This will be what you are competing for today."

"Competing?" Katie Bell asks.

"On page ten of your textbooks, there will be a recipe for Living Death. The student who is able to brew an acceptable draught will be rewarded with Liquid Luck. Good luck!" He chuckles as we get to work. 

I glance through my textbook, finding the recipe. I rush to a brewing station in between Cassandra and Blaise, and start to boil the water in my cauldron. Cut the Sopophorous bean to extract the juice. Looking around, it looks like everyone's having trouble doing that task.

I look around, seeing Harry crushing his and the juice comes out. I think for a second, and copy him. Cassandra notices, "How did you do that?" She whispers.

"Just crush it." I say, and continue the potion. Right after I think my potion is done, I blasts upwards, spilling out onto the desk. I sigh, and grab a towel to clean it up. Blaise chuckles and I shoot him a dirty look. 

Harry looks like he's done, and Slughorn comes up to his workspace to inspect the cauldron, and looks pleased, "Merlin's beard, it's perfect!" Harry is given the Liquid Luck, not that he needs it, and class is dismissed. 

Someone walks up next to me, and I know exactly who it is because he smells like green apples... Draco, "What did the Amortentia smell like?" He gives me an arrogant smirk, and I roll my eyes. 

"Not like you," I smirk back at him, clutching my textbook to my chest.

"Why would it smell like me?" He responds, making me flush a little. I hurry up a little bit, making him chase me down. 

"Why are you asking me what it smelt like?" I shoot back. 

"Because mine smells like your bloody cat." He turns to face me.

"That's odd."