Chapter 10

"Hey sorry I'm late, why so glum?" Mr Sasabe ran over to us, "Where the hell were you coach? We needed you!" Nagisa stands up, "I can't thank you enough for all the help the other day, and it meant so much that you could come out and support the team," Miss A smiles, "Oh it's nothing, I know we've met somewhere before but I just can't put my finger on it," Mr Sasabe touches his chin in confusion, "No I'm sure I'd remember," Miss Amakata turns around, "Geez did you come here to cheer for us or to hit on our teacher," Nagisa asks, "Hey watch it!" Mr Sasabe barks, "Haru swum his freestyle just a second ago." I look up at him, "Damn it, I was scared I'd miss the prelims, oh well, at least I'll get to see him kick ass in the finals." He knocks his head, we all flinched, "He won't be in the finals, he didn't pass the prelims," Mako looks down, "Huh? You're not serious!" Mr Sasabe was shocked, we nodded. We kept watching the races, "Mikoshiba has just set a new record, congratulations," The loud speakers announced, "Kid's got real talent," Mr Sasabe looks at him, "Hey isn't that?" Rei looks at he takes his cap and goggles off, "Yeah Samezuka's captain, and here I just thought he was a loud guy. Turns out he's an amazing swimmer you know him don't you?" Nagisa looks at Kou, she nods. Rei looks at his watch and turns around, "What's wrong?" Nagisa asks, "I'd be sure that Haru would be back with us by now," Rei says, "Yeah, same," I tap my shoes together, "He's still probably in the shower," Nagisa says, "Maybe but something seems off, I'll go check on him," Rei stands up, "Hey, wait, Rei!" Mako goes up after him, "Don't leave me behind!" Nagisa runs after them, Kou and I were down in the dumps, "Come on girls, cheer up, a loss is a loss," She puts a hand on our shoulders, I shook my head, "It's not just that, it was what Rin said after the race, that look on his face. I don't know if I should feel happy or sad that Rin won or that Haru lost," I tapped my shoes again, "Yeah, I agree, I was looking forward to watching my brother and Haru swim together but what I just saw wasn't what I expected," Kou nods and fiddles with her fingers. Mako was getting ready to race, Haru wasn't even back yet, I bunched up my fists, "Argh! We trained so hard for this, I'm making sure Haru sees this through!" I slid down the banisters of the stairs and ran into the corridors, Kou, Rei and Nagisa yelled after me but I kept running. 

I was panting and out of breath, I ran through each corridor at least two times, "Hey Haru, I've been looking everywhere for you," I felt my hands fall to my knees, "Mako's getting ready to swim, come on, let's go," I looked up at him, "I think I'll pass," Haru looks forward, "No you won't!" I grabbed his hand and pulled him after me, "Let's go!". 

"Let's go! Let's go, let's go, let's go! Makato!" We saw Mr Sasabe cheer, "Let's go! Let's go, let's go, let's go! Makato!" Rei, Nagisa, Miss A and Kou echoed, "Push it, push it, push it, push it! Makato!" Mr Sasabe shouts, "Push it, push it, push it, push it! Makato!" They relayed, "Not loud enough! You gotta shout from your bellies, and you! You call that crap cheering!" He points his cone at Rei, "Faster! Faster! Faster! Faster! Makato!" He shouts, "Faster! Faster, faster, faster, Makato!" They shout after Mr Sasabe, "Yeah let's go! Let's go! Let's go! And turn! Hustle, hustle, hustle, Makato!" They cheered in unison, Haru stared at the pool, "See what I mean now?" I smiled, his eyes sparkled, Makato lost by 9 milliseconds, "So close, he could've gone into the finals for sure!" We were happy at his results though, "Alright, time to rock and roll," Nagisa took his shirt off, "Go get em' kid," Mr Sasabe chuckles, Makato looks up and saw Haru, he smiled, "See, he wanted you here to watch him," I pulled Haru after me back with the rest of our team. "Ready?" BEEP! Nagisa was in lane 7, "Let's go! Let's go, let's go, let's go! Nagisa!" "Push it, push it, push it, push it! Nagisa!" We all cheered for them. "Mm! I lost it!" Nagisa scowls, "You were close though," I put a hand on his shoulder, "That push at the end is something to be proud of," Kou nods, "I believe it's finally my time to shine," Rei stands up, "Are you sure you'll be okay?" Nagisa asks, "I've got this in the bag, believe it or not, competition's my forte," Rei holds his glasses.