Chapter 3

The next morning you awoke to Luna dressing into her robes. You sat up as she tightened her tie around her neck.

"Good morning," she chirped. Her hair, long and loose, hung at her waist. "You'll need to be getting ready. Defense Against the Dark Arts starts in only an hour." She smiled dreamily.

"Thanks, Luna," you answered. With a large sigh, you stood up and grabbed your robes. They were soft in your hands. You held your hand out by your side, and your wand, as if magnetically attracted, snapped into it.

Luna had noticed.

"Well that's very interesting!" she said, her pale finger pointing to your wand. Her large eyes were lit with interest.

You laughed lightly at her reaction. "I've always been able to do that. Its fun, but I can't really carry anything heavy. Not the most useful specialty." You let go of your wand to demonstrate and gently bounced it in the air around you before guiding it back into your hand.

"Extraordinary." She said simply whilst she finished collecting her books and supplies for class.

You changed behind the curtains, nervous for Luna to see your skin. Your forearm stung, and felt very impure. You were almost ashamed of what secrets it hid. You tried to push down the feeling. Mother and Father were proud.

By the time you'd finished, she'd left for Herbology.

You fixed your hair in the mirror, combing it gently and letting it fall by the sides of your face. As you observed your appearance, fair skin, dark and soft hair, neck framed by a crisp white collar and navy blue tie, you could feel your unease building. Your stomach tightened as you thought of what Ron had said the night before. He was right, though.

You made your way out of your dormitory into the common room. The door squealed as it swung. There were a few protesting scoffs as you appeared. For the most part, those who were not reading were watching you leave. Your light footsteps seemed incredibly vocal. Even the stars that hung above you seemed prejudice.  Walking to the exit seemed like walking a hundred miles.

Eventually, after finally making it out, you made it to the doors in front of the Great Hall. Seeing as you had no idea where your class was, this seemed like the right place to ask for help. Right? You looked through the massive archway. Students were eating a rather fragrant breakfast and talking amongst themselves. The general ambiance was almost comforting, yet a reminder that you were very alone. You wished Luna was here with you.

Suddenly, your eyes caught a familiar face. Gregory! You had met him on a few occasions when you were young. You felt yourself grow a half an inch with newfound purpose and confidence. Still, your steps were slightly uncertain. You made your way towards him. As you approached, he looked up at you skeptically. One of his friends even snickered.

"Gregory-" you said tenderly.

"Its Goyle to you," his voice radiated irritation. At this, something foreign came over you. You swiftly remembered that he was an idiot. There was no reason for him to treat you as an inferior. His father was a coward, and he knew not of your association with the Dark Lord.

You stopped your thoughts. It was in moments like this your blood spoke loudly. Your forearm seared somewhat painfully. In automatic response to the sting, you rubbed it. Goyle had noticed this small movement, and his eyes seemed to register something you didn't want to think about. Its significance was heavier than most would think. A sense of pride had washed over your chest. How very unlike you.

You took a deep breath, continuing. "Do you think you could show me to the Defense Against the Dark Arts room?" You furrowed your eyebrows slightly. You felt superior to him at this moment.