Chapter 16

RON's POV

I'd told that foul wanker. I'd told him

That day, when I got him for her, I made sure he would keep her safe. She didn't deserve this kind of pain, or any. 

She's a gentle little soul.

My flower...

I'd never gotten along with him. In fact, I'd never thought him to be anything but a wretch. Like I'd told Tabby, he's a bad lot. Still, she saw something in him, and whatever it was I didn't know. 

Harry and Hermione thought the same as I, that it was probably her heart seeing through to some small and distant light.

But it didn't matter. Not to me, really. That light didn't exist.

Malfoy was a prick.

And here we were, my veins churning with molten rage as I grasped his collar tightly. He was pressed against the wall, hands clutched upon my wrists. My expression was stone against his own, which shown with large grey eyes and a grimace. 

I saw them flicker, and something in his face changed, weighing heavily. I could feel myself stiffen instantly. I knew what hid behind them, and I resented it. It constantly loomed in my imagination.

I could see his hands entangle within her dark hair, taking her head and dipping it slightly, facing it towards his own, pale and pointed. I could see them trace her delicate figure, and I could see them interlace with her own. 

And just as he had that day, I could see him kiss her.

I turned my head to meet her eyes, golden with intimate shock. Her hands were balled at her side, and her soft brows were turned with worry. I could feel my body ease, and a small breath escaped my lips.

He could have kept her safe.

There was a frozen second where he met my eyes, and with it came a heat. My knuckles cracked under the pressure of my fist, and before I had even realized what was happening, my arm pulled backwards. Muscles in my shoulders recoiled violently, charging themselves. Behind his cursing slander, he was no more than a coward. The corners of my lips twitched, and in the beat of pattering heart, I released, my fist slamming into his pathetic face.

His head snapped backwards, hitting against the wall audibly, and he slunk down as his knees folded. Blood seeped from his lip, and he sputtered. 

I shook my arm, buzzing at the joints as if strewn together by needles, and looked down to his pitiful figure. With a scoff, I smiled.

"When are you going to learn, Malfoy?" I mocked, turning on my heel and striding off down the hall. "'Can't have nice things...'"

~~

Your mouth hung agape. What the hell just happened? 

Draco was sitting on the floor, head slumped to one side and his eyes closed weakly. A thick stream of blood oozed from his lips, which were now stained a dark crimson. He was out cold, body having shut down to repair itself. Ron had hit him with a rather tremendous force, and you almost wondered if something had broken. In the general run of things, you would have thought yourself to rush to his side. After all, he had done more for you than you likely deserved.