Chapter 8

You walked into the hospital wing, chin quivering slightly. You weren't going to cry. You felt as if you'd done more than enough of that.

Instead, you approached Madam Pomfrey.

"What's the matter dear?" she said with a small smile.

"Spell gone wrong," you said softly, showing her your hand. You couldn't move your middle or ring finger at this point, but the pain was manageable as long as you kept them still.

She gently grabbed your wrist, turning your hand around to investigate.

"Looks like you've nearly broken two of your bones. Could you hold out your hand for me, please?"

You did so as she unsheathed her wand.

"Episkey!" she said, and you felt a painful click. Almost immediately the bruise began to lift. "Be careful, you wouldn't want anything bad to happen," she said, putting it away.

You glanced around her shoulder, seeing a student laying in a bed, green at the face.

"Yes ma'am," you said, "thank you for the help."

She nodded, and you turned to leave, grabbing your divination book off of the table Ron had left it. Your face was now pulled into a frown, and you walked out into the hallway, following the general traffic of people.

You couldn't fathom Draco's reasoning for what he had done, and yet you weren't sure how you should be feeling about it. It's not as if you had been meaning to play with his heart, if that was his reasoning. You thought of what he said. 'Haven't you learned already, Weasley? You don't get nice things.' You felt another squeeze at your chest. How long had Ron been putting up with this? You came from a very wealthy family, too much so for your own good, yet you had never thought less of anyone because of this. You had very mixed feelings about Draco. He was so easy to talk to, and honestly very comforting. A scene from the astronomy tower flashed through your mind, with it a slight nausea. You'd really gone that far with him, and you'd only just met him again. Was this why he was acting that way? Did he feel he had some claim over you? You weren't an item as far as you were concerned, and even so, Ron was just a friend. Though, come to think of it, he's definitely quite attractive. Not that he'd ever be interested in you. You thought of the look of betrayal he had worn, and you sighed deeply. You didn't want to have to choose. Despite how much of an asshole Draco was, there were parts of you that needed him. He was your friend, and he knew.

In your contemplation, you'd missed a gathering in front of the courtyard. You could see Ron among the crowd, and you wondered if you should join him. Hermione stood by him as well, and with this your confidence wained. You couldn't face the both of them, no matter how badly you wanted to make things right. In all honestly, you didn't have an excuse for all that encompassed Draco's kiss.

You couldn't see over the heads of most of the students, but you were able to pick up on some of the murmurings of the crowd. Apparently, something was happening between Umbridge and Trelawney. The group suddenly went quiet.

"Six.. Sixteen years I've- I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts is my home," Trelawney's voice was shaking, and you stood on your toes, only to see her bent over with a trunk of her belongings and a beaded purse in her hands. She looked pitiful, and the sight made you sad. "You can't do this." She was crying quietly.

Umbridge smiled, holding up a folded piece of parchment. You assumed it was one of her stupid grabs at power. "Actually, I can."

Suddenly, McGonagall pushed through the crowd, her large pointed hat could be seen rushing to Trelawney's figure, who she embraced as she cried.