Potions

Heyy guys hope you're enjoying the story so far. Ps I saw that the PlayStation 5 is coming out with a Hogwarts legacy game! I am so excited, I wasn't going to get one but I am now purely for that game lol

Within two weeks of potions class Kara was already failing. She'd caused two fires, one stink cloud, and three near toxic spills in the classroom so far. Potions just wasn't for her.

Everyone in the class would eye Kara's work table nervously, preparing for the next unseen mishap. Accidentally one day while James was Kara's partner she forgot to add in crushed beetle wings and the mixture somehow ended up catching James' eyebrows on fire. He stole one of Kara's hats that day.

Kara really was trying, but potions just always seemed like a foreign language to her. Professor J'onzz was calling her to his office as the rest of the class got to leave for the day and return to their dormitories. She grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder with a sigh. She closed the door behind her and took a seat at the chair placed before his desk.

"Kara I'm sure you know why you're here today," he explained with his deep yet kind voice. Professor J'onzz had always taken a liking to Kara despite her poor ability in potions. He was always open to hear Kara's fears and doubts in times when she needed an adult's advice. In many ways he acted fatherly to her. Perhaps due to the fact that his wife and daughter had died way before their time. Alex and Kara had slowly begun bothering J'onzz after classes ever since they were still short enough to barley see over his desk. This man looked out for Kara and her sister as if they were his own. Kara recognized that at a young age and has been grateful for it. But today although he spoke kindly she knew that she was in trouble.

"I know what you're going to say professor...I'm failing."

"Well then if you know, why haven't you made moves to correct that. Surely Winn or Alex could help you study."

Kara shook her head and sighed lightly, " They've tried believe me. It doesn't matter who it is explaining it to me, the information just never seems to get through."

Now it was J'onzz turn to sigh. "Well as your professor I can't just turn a blind eye to the situation. As you've already said that your friends nor your sister can help you, I'll have to assign you to a tutor until further notice." He saw Kara grimace and softened up a bit. "But since you are one of my favorites I will allow you to pick who you'd like your tutor to be. Here's a list of the one available."

J'onzz handed her a piece of parchment and immediately Kara's eyes went to a name that stood out from all the rest. Her face lit up and she bit her bottom lip to try and hold back a smile. She handed the paper back to him, " Can I have this one?" He looked at the name she was pointing towards, "Really? Are you sure Kara because this is a commitment and there's no going back once it's been done?"

Kara smiled at him, "Trust me I'm sure."

Her Professor smiled back at her, "Well the arrangements will be made. Your first session will begin tomorrow after classes. Your dismissed, please enjoy you day Kara."

"You as well Professor, thank you!"

Kara practically bounced all the way back to her dormitory, she had never in life been so happy about failing.

The next day after classes Kara ran to the library and there sitting at an empty table towards the back near the herbology section was Lena Luthor. She was surrounded by tall stacks of books and her head was bent over one as she brushed her long hair behind one of her ears. She seemed lost in the novel as if it held secrets she desperately needed, her eyes roaming up and down the pages faster than Kara had known even Winn to read. Kara smiled slightly to herself, this girl was full of wonders.

She approached the table slowly, suddenly nervous about the whole ordeal. When she reached her she cleared her throat and Lena looked up slowly, one eyebrow raised in her mischievous way. Kara knew why she was nervous now. She wasn't sure which side of Lena Luthor she was going to get. The one who it was easy to make her smile and was coming closer and closer to drop the walls around her heart... or the one the world knew, who was stern, serious, and above others around her. 

"Who would've thought the Supergirl of Hogwarts needed extra lessons in potions."

Looks like it was going to be the latter.

Kara sighed and put down her bag to take a seat, "Everyone I'm sure. I'm terrible at it and the entire class knows better than to get within 10 feet of my cauldron if they want their eyebrows intact."

Lena let out a laugh but then seemed to catch her self and her serious expression returned to her face. Kara smirked. Although she was going to respect her sisters advice and let Lena warm up to her, that didn't mean she was going to give up and trying.

"You can't possibly be that bad."

"Oh but Miss Luthor I am."

Lena shook her head softly, "Well let's see what we can do about that shall we."

"I'm looking forward to it," Kara said while looking her in her eyes. Lena held her gaze for a few moments before shaking her self out of the trance and turning towards the books. She grabbed a stack and slammed it down in front of Kara making a rather loud thud in the otherwise quiet library.

Looking at her with a smirk Lena said, "Perfect, let's begin with these."

Lena was surprisingly the best teacher Kara could ever have. No one, absolutely no one had ever made potions make sense to Kara but the marvelous Lena Luthor had. Within simply two hours Kara had actually begun to understand and make major improvements in her studies. Lena was a patient and gentle teacher, she did not rush Kara and she also made sure to break down ideas into ways Kara would understand.

"Lena your amazing!" Kara shouted with her arms up and a huge smile on her face, followed by Lena laughing after her reaching to drag her hands back down hushing her.

"You're going to get us kicked out!"

"I can't help it! I've never understood potions in my life and just a few hours with you has me feeling like I may actually pass the class. Lena you're incredible!"

A blush crept onto Lena's otherwise pale cheeks. Kara smiled more softly, taken back but just how mesmerizing this girl was. Before she knew it they were just sitting there in silence. Staring into each others eyes. Identical awed smiles on each other's faces. Kara felt something deep within her chest whenever Lena looked at her like this. She couldn't say what it was just yet but it made her feel invincible.

Lena licked her lips, "You're incredible Kara. I'm so proud of you. You've really made improvements today."

It was Kara's turn to blush. Lena made a bold move and reached across the table to grab Kara's hand making her heart race a mile a minute. And this was how Lex found them. Hand in hand gazing into each other's eyes in a candlelit corner of the library well into the evening. Kara felt him before she saw him. His presence was demanding and it made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. Lena dropped her hand and they both turned to look at Lex who stood their in his slytherin robes, brown hair hanging into a set of anger filled eyes.

With his jaw taught he said, "Lena its well past tutoring hours it's time we go."

"Why does she have to go with you? We were enjoying our time here," Kara stated without breaking the stare she had taken on with Lex. His hands clenched at his sides and His jaw twitched but right before he could speak, Lena grabbed her things and got up.

"LEX. It's alright let's go." She put her hand on his shoulder and forcibly turned him away. Looking back at Kara she said, "I'm sorry Kara. Amazing work today, I'll see you in our next session."

And with that her and her infuriating brother were gone. Kara let out a groan. Lena became a different person in her presence but it was her brother who kept her as taught as a violin string. If she wanted to reach Lena's heart and her her to open up she was going to have to do it alone and away from Lex. Kara sat for a few extra moments in the library coming up with a plan to get Lena alone and when it came to her she smiled and laughed as if she'd struck gold. She knew how she was going to get alone time with Lena, but she was going to breaking hundreds of school rules to do it.