Explain

Walking into the great hall the next morning Kara couldn't help but look over at the slytherin table. There sat Lena, emotionless, staring into her bowl of food. Lex either seemed to not notice her peculiar behavior or didn't care as he continued talking to her despite the obvious fact that Lena was stuck in her own head, not listening. Kara's heart clenched, but clenching her hand in a fist she walked over to her friends at the gryffindor table.

"Kara! You were freaking amazing yesterday! Ugh I wish it could've been me to put slytherin in their place but seeing you do it was just as satisfying," James said and gave Kara a fist bump.

Winn looked up from the book he was reading," I can't lie it was a good game Kara. I've never seen you play like that before. Are you okay?"

Kara took a seat on the bench," Yeah of course. Why would you ask?" She tried to make her voice seem convincing even though Kara was sure every second she was becoming more and more unsteady. It didn't seem to work as even James made a curious face at Kara's tone. Before either of them could speak Alex came over to the table and took a seat opposite of Kara. She took one look at her and made a face.

"Oh no what's wrong?"

Kara stuttered as all three of them now stared at Kara with worried faces.

"I--It's nothing I just.."

Winn put his hand on Kara's shoulder," Kara please. Stop trying to carry things all by yourself. You've been doing it for years."

Something inside of her broke. Kara had always tried to handle things by herself but over the years she had learned that even the amazing "Supergirl" needed someone to come and save her every once and awhile. Taking in a shaky breath she looked at all three of them and broke down. She explained everything that had happened, between her and Lex. The threat, the jinx, Kara attempting to stay away from Lena and how it was tearing her up inside. All of it.

At the end of the story Alex turned to look at Lex from across the table and James had to grip her shoulder and force her to turn back around," Stop it. You'll only drag attention."

"Good. I want that no good son of a python to know that I know what he's done and that he's gonna pay for it," said Alex getting more and more heated by the second.

"Alex stop it. You promised you wouldn't get all big sister on this," Kara said shaking her head and adjusting her glasses, a nervous habit she had adopted as a kid.

"Kara! He literally attacked you, with more than just a simple jinx and threatened you straight to your face. How do you want me to just sit here!" Alex tried to whisper, her eyes almost bulging out of her head.

Winn raised a hand to motion Alex to calm down, "Kara she's right. He did attack you, this is very serious and you could take it to Dumbledore if you wanted. But please Kara, don't let him scare you. We're here with you, we have your back."

Kara smiled sadly, "Thanks guys, and no I don't want to take this to Dumbledore. And I know that we could take him but haven't you wondered why I haven't spelled him yet? You guys weren't there, you didn't see the coldness in his eyes, the nothingness there... someone with eyes like that would have no problem hurting someone close to them if it meant they got what they wanted..."

James nodded his head slowly," So that's what this is about."

Alex's face softened," You're worried he'll hurt Lena...Oh Kara..."

Kara stared miserably at the table. She had stood up for hours debating if she should defend herself against Lex or not, but the one thought that stopped her from doing anything at all was Lena. If Lex hurt Lena because of Kara...she didn't know what she would do.

"She's too important to me. I--I've never felt this way about someone before... we talked everyday and about everything. She made me feel... I don't even know how to describe it. But I know that I never want anything to happen to her even if that means I have to stay away."

James looked at the slytherin table, " Even if it's not what she wants? Look at her Kara. It's not fair for her. One day you guys are as close as you say and the next moment you ignore her existence without any explanation."

"Kara it sounds like you have fe--," Winn had started but Alex gave him a look and said," Winn not right now."

Kara was confused but Winn continued," All I meant to say Kara is that it seems like Lena means a great deal to you and you shouldn't let Lex get in the way of your relationship with her."

A deep sigh took over her. She didn't know what to do. She desperately wanted to be a part of Lena's life, hours spent roaming the castle grounds and in the library poured over books made her feel more like she actually belonged in this world than anything ever had... besides quidditch of course. And those nights spent sending letter back and forth in the cover of the moonlight... Kara would give anything to keep that. Her friends were right. She couldn't let Lex get in their way. Kara and her friends would handle him if he did try anything.

"You're right guys. I can't... can't lose her over this. Do you think it's too late though? To ask for her forgiveness and explain," Kara asked biting her lip in worry as she looked towards her friends.

Alex grabbed her hand across the table, "It's never too late Kar. Grab a moment alone with her and explain what happened and why you did what you did."

James smiled softly at her, "No one can stay mad at you forever Kara. Just talk to her."

Her friends words filled her up with hope and she actually felt herself smile a little. She was going to find a moment alone with Lena, maybe even when they'd meet up later for tutoring. She had to explain. She just had to.

Kara looked across the table at Lena and by chance she just happened to be looking back at her. Kara attempted a shy smile but Lena turned away slowly, letting Kara know she was being ignored. Sigh.... she supposed she deserved this.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught red. Walking towards her and her friends was Reina. Kara noticed she walked in a graceful manner, as if her feet glided on the floor.

"Hey Danvers! Sorry to bother you but I wanted to know if I could borrow your notes for divination. I totally fell asleep yesterday in class."

Alex laughed and shook her head, " Yeah I noticed. Your cup had more drool then leaves in it."

Reina faked being shocked, "Gasp! How dare you." She laughed and so did everyone at the table. Kara was still focused on Lena, just looking at her stare down at the book in her hand. She hadn't flipped the page in awhile.

Alex handed Reina her notebook. " Thanks Danvers, and Kara you still owe me that tour around the castle. You busy later supergirl ?"

The way she called Kara by the nickname made her hairs stand up. Her voice was so seductive and sultry that it wrapped you up and made you feel as if you were swimming in velvet.

Kara snapped her attention to Reina and smiled, "Sorry Reina I do have tutoring later. Maybe another time?" Reina leaned on her elbows and moved her face closer to Kara's.

"Ooooo what's the subject?"

Kara found it hard to swallow, "Um potions. I'm not really good at it but I'm getting better with Lena's help."

"Hmmmmm I see... well I happen to be an ace in potions. Let me know if you ever want a few extra lessons Kara. I'd love to teach you a few things."

At the slytherin table Lena slammed her book shut roughly and abruptly causing a few heads to turn. Reina never broke contact with Kara and winked before turning to walk away. Kara looked after her before turning back to her friends who all sat with open mouths.

Kara shrugged her shoulders, "What?!"

Winn was the first to break the silence.

" What the hell was that?!"