791-

Chapter 791 Should We Have Noodles or Rice for Breakfast?

A brand new day had dawned on Rodu. Due to the return of Alex, many people were beginning to reassess the situation. Even though not many details had been revealed about the battle that had taken place the night before, the coincidental appearance of the second prince on the scene drew a lot of suspicions.

Back when news of Alex's assassination had first spread three years ago, the king himself had made a public announcement of the cause of Alex's death, executing a few orcs and demons as a result. However, there were still some conspiracy theorists who were convinced that foul play was involved, and that Josh was actually the one who had orchestrated the assassination.

Josh just so happened to have appeared in the battle that had taken place the previous night, and there were even rumors that he had faced Alex in battle. This information suddenly made the conspiracies surrounding Josh seem not so implausible after all.

There had always been a delicate balance maintained between Josh and Sean. As long as the king refrained from choosing an heir, the balance would continue to exist, and everything would appear to be quite tranquil and peaceful.

However, Alex's return was like a sledgehammer that brutally shattered this frail balance.

With his enormous power and his position in the hearts of the citizens of the Roth Empire, his choice would undoubtedly be capable of tipping the scales. Even the king himself couldn't simply ignore his opinion.

Regardless of whether Josh was involved in the assassination three years ago, most people were of the opinion that Alex wouldn't choose to side with Josh following his return. He had endured battles of life and death on the empire's borders with Sean as his comrade, so the first prince was clearly the better choice. Following Alex's passing, the first prince had mourned and fasted for Alex for three days and three nights; that was a clear indication of the close bond that they had shared.

All of the officials who had already made their choices were considering whether they had made the wrong decision, while some of the fence-sitters were also being tempted to pick a side.

The storm that had taken place the night before had shaken the entire Roth Empire.

Of course, some people were completely unaffected by this incident. These people included the normal citizens of the city, as well as the scholars who were heading toward Carlo Church in an excited manner.

...

Carlo Church was situated in the western region of Rodu on a vast plot of land that had been cordoned off using black railing. At the center of a yellowing lawn stood a grand round-domed church, beside which were two rows of large white stone pillars. There was a plaza that had been paved with slabs of white stone in front of the church, and white pigeons were searching for grass seeds in the gaps between the stone slabs.

The black-robed priests wore serious expressions as they traversed through the long corridors of the church. There was no hint of a smile on their faces whatsoever, and all of them seemed to be in a hurry.

The church had a longer history than even the Roth Empire. During the war among species, priests had roamed the entire Norland Continent, administering treatment to the humans who had been wounded during the war, and fostering the children who had lost their parents to battle. As such, they were deeply respected and revered by the masses.

Furthermore, the church also played an imperative role in uniting the humans during the war among species. It was through a common faith that everyone banded together, and the church had developed many exceptional knights and magic casters for the human race.