8 | ≠ fair

Nathan is standing in front of me, staring at me over the counter, 'High Five' by Sigrid plays in the background, and all I can think about at the moment is how hot he looks

Nathan is standing in front of me, staring at me over the counter, 'High Five' by Sigrid plays in the background, and all I can think about at the moment is how hot he looks. Hands in his pockets, wearing a pastel pink t-shirt and grey sweatpants, I feel like staring at him a little bit longer.

Snap out of it.

"Hey, grasshopper. Do you plan on taking your break anytime soon, or am I just supposed to stand here looking at you checking me out?" he smirks. If he expects me to blush at that comment, he is going to be sadly mistaken.

"I tend to like guys in pink. Makes them look very pretty," I smirk back, taking off my apron and walking out from around the counter.

"Pretty, huh?" he replies. Surprise takes over his handsome features. Handsome features? What is wrong with me?

"Yup!" I chirp.

I plop down on one of the chairs in the corner table, my favourite one in the cafe. It overlooks the street outside and gives me plenty of opportunities to observe people whenever I need a time out. Right now, at this moment, a lady is strolling with her baby. Another man is conversing on the phone with someone. Observing small things like these me happy. I snap out of my daze and look at Nathan already looking at me with a small smile on his face. 

"Maybe I need to visit the mall. Gotta buy new pink clothes," he says casually.

I feel a laugh bubbling out of me at that. Of course, Nathan Wright is smooth.

"That was smooth. Looks like you've got practice."

"I try. So Aliana I-don't-know-your-middle-name Palmer, you think you'd tell me more things you tend to like if I ask?" he gets comfortable in his chair and asks.

"Depends on what you ask. If you ask how many murders I've committed, then that's something I can't tell you. I think I've lost count."

This triggers a booming laugh from him, his laughter echoing around the shop. This guy has the ability to give Shaye a run for her money for the best laughter in the world position. And trust me when I say this when Shaye laughs, everybody laughs.

"Let's play a game. Twenty questions. No murder related questions. I'll start. Do you have a-" cutting his question off was the devil reincarnate herself. She stood at our table, giving both of us, mainly me, a look that probably has the power to murder someone.

I internally wince. Her expression does not scream rainbows.

"Ali, you have to be behind the counter. Stop flirting with customers," she says, looking at Nathan disapprovingly.

"But it's my lunch break," I answer meekly.

"Not anymore," she replies.

"I'm sorry, but this is her lunch break. She hasn't even had her lunch yet," Nathan speaks up. I look at him just in time to see an expression of disappointment gracing his features.