9 | ≠ disagreement

Anger

Anger. Confusion. Possessiveness.

After asking Ali about what happened, and seeing the rude lady walk out with Aliana's money, these are these emotions I feel.

Always respect women. But when they act wrong, don't hold back, but do so politely. My mom's words echo around my head. I take a quick look at Ali, who's busy behind the counter yet again as if nothing happened a minute ago. Looking around the cafe, I spot the owner's daughter talking animatedly with her mother, looking angry beyond words. As if sensing someone's eyes on her, she turns to look at me and wordlessly confirms what I'm unsure about. She nods at me and I quickly stuff my laptop in my bag and walk out of the bakery. Spotting the lady walking a few feet ahead of me, I call out to her.

"Excuse me, ma'am" She stops in her tracks and turns around.

"May I help you?" she asks.

"As a matter of fact, yes you can," I hear the owner's daughter speak up from behind me. "I didn't say anything in the shop as I was busy, and didn't want to embarrass you in front of our customers. May I please see your receipt?"

The lady looks at me and back at her, "What receipt?"

"The receipt of the order, ma'am. We always make a point to give the receipt along with the order. And don't even try to say you didn't receive it as I was the one who gave it to you. I remember the faces of people coming in and out of my shop," she says, with a polite but dangerous smile.

The lady's expressions falter, and she opens her bag to hand over the receipt to me. I take a look at it.

"It says here that you paid the exact amount. How is it that there was change remaining?" I question.

Looking back and forth between the two of us, the lady looks ready to bolt in the opposite direction before the owner's daughter takes a step ahead and effectively roots her to her place.

"Look. You have two options. You go back in, apologise to the girl you so easily blamed and embarrassed in front of everyone or I'll hand you over to the officer who is walking towards us at this very moment. Pick your poison,"

"Is everything alright here?" The officer questions.

I look at the lady and raise my eyebrow. Giving in, she speaks up,

"Everything's fine, officer. These two were just helping me with some financial issues,"

"Alright, then. Have a good evening."

The lady sighs and walks back in the direction of the bakery. We follow closely behind. Aliana looks up from her work as the bell rings, so do the rest of the customers in the bakery. When her gaze falls on both her friend and me, who are walking behind the lady who blamed her, her expression transforms from confusion to curiosity.