20 | ≠ victory

Returning back home should've been normal

Returning back home should've been normal. I mean except the fact that Nathan and I are dating now, nothing has really changed. I had called Mia earlier today to inform her of the time of my return, and she had screamed like a banshee with happiness. Normal Mia behaviour. So when I climbed the stairs to our apartment and opened my door, to say I was shocked is an understatement.

Because on the couch are Eli and Mia, cuddling and watching a movie together. Eli's arm is wound around my best friend, and Mia's head is resting on his chest. Both of them let out a laugh as something funny happens on the screen. I can't move, because didn't Mia hate Eli with all her heart when I left 3 days ago? I feel arms slide around my waist and a kiss on my shoulder, making me momentarily forget about my confusion. Looking at Nathan from the corner of my eye, I see him smirk while observing his best friend with mine.

"What is going on?" I whisper to him. Both of them are yet to notice us.

Nathan smirks from behind me and whispers back, his mouth grazing my ears softly, "Looks like Eli finally cleared the air."

"But didn't they have just 3 days?" I question.

He smiles at me and replies, "Grasshopper, didn't we also have just 3 days?"

I roll my eyes and reply, "Touche."

Finally, Eli's eyes snap to the two of us, and he lets out a small whistle, catching Mia's attention. She whips her head to the door, and when she finds us in each other's arms, she screams even louder than she did on the phone and lunges towards me. I feel Nathan let me out of his hug as Mia tackles me a second later.

"I can't say I didn't know this but seeing this in real life just makes me so happy!" she exclaims. I cock my eyebrow at her, and she smirks at me.

"Your mom called," That's all she says before running to the kitchen to make us some coffees.

I roll my eyes yet again at the thought of my mother and my best friend gossiping about me. I look over at Eli and drop my bags, walking towards him. I take a stand in directly in front of him and cross my arms across my body. He looks at me nervously and sits up a tad bit straighter.

"What are your intentions towards my best friend?" I ask in a low voice, careful that Mia doesn't overhear. I watch as Nathan chuckles and sits beside Eli, staring at him amusedly.

"Yes, Eli, what are your intentions?" he asks, which causes Eli to glare at him. I clear my throat, and his eyes snap back to mine and turn serious.

"I like her," he whispers.

I smirk and reply, "Does she know?"

He shakes his head no, and I let out a breath, "Are you serious about her?"

"As serious as I can be. You won't have to worry about me, Bumper," he replies, throwing the nickname he gave me so long ago.

I smile at him and nod, walking away from him. I pass Mia by the kitchen and call out to her, "I'm in my room, freshening up."