12.2 | ≠ hell

Ali isn't here yet

Ali isn't here yet. She hasn't reached yet and that's causing the entire team to panic.

"Listen up," I start, demanding everyone's attention, "What if the tradition doesn't happen today. That doesn't change shit. We'll still play our best and we'll still win. To hell with tradition," I step into my captain shoes to lift the spirit of the remaining team.

"Hell yeah!" Eli cheers. The team follows, joining in on cheering with their Center player and our most enthusiastic team member.

"To hell with tradition!" everyone calls out, running out of the room towards the field. I take one final look at my phone which is lying in my locker. 

"Maybe she's late," Eli says, walking beside me, "Maybe you should try calling her."

"Maybe," I reply, trying to keep my head in the game. The thought of Aliana ditching hurts, but I'm going to let it change the outcome of the game. I quickly remove my phone, dial her number and wait for her to pick up the call.

She picks up on the 5th ring.

"Hi," she replies, sounding breathless.

"Hey. Where are you? Are you almost here?" I ask, a little unsure of what she's going to say.

"Uhm.." she starts, trailing off.

"You're not coming, are you?"

"Listen, I really gotta go. I'm busy. I'll talk to you later," she says, hanging up.

It feels as if someone has punched me in the gut. Shaking my head off of all ridiculous feelings, I push all thoughts out of my head as I concentrate on the game ahead of me.

To hell with tradition.

Running out, the cheers which had almost died down after the entire team had run out pick up the volume again, the whole crowd joining in to cheer for me. Cheerleaders are already doing their routine to cheer on us. I catch Amanda's eyes as she's doing the routine. She winks at me and continues. I cut eye contact with her and look around the crowd, my eyes still searching for one particular person even if my brain is saying no. After a whole sweep, I give up my hopes. I'm about to get in position when suddenly, my eyes catch sight of someone running into the bleachers, frantically looking around. I fix my gaze on her. She looks at the players before her eyes finally set on me.

She's here.

I wave, letting her know that I've seen her, immediately feeling a lot better. She then does something which completely catches me off guard.

She puts her fingers to her lips and blows me a kiss. 

Aliana completes the tradition.

Almost instantly, a full-blown grin takes over my features, causing me to chuckle. I perform the action of catching the kiss mid-air and holding it to my heart. She laughs and looks over at Mia, who is watching us with amusement dancing over her face and shakes her head.