1

~Quinzel~

The long winding dirt road was finally coming to an end as I reached the small bits and pieces of jagged pavement before the entrance of the parking lot.I looked at a large sign as I entered the gates ahead.

'Arkham Asylum' it read.

I chuckled to myself.Im not sure why,even.It just felt right.Something about this place felt oddly...comforting...and I hadn't even gotten inside yet.

Once I found a decent parking spot,I pulled out a small mirror I had in my coat pocket.I hurriedly fixed any stray strands of hair,and checked to make sure my makeup looked okay.I wanted to stay here,so,I need to make a great first impression.

My eyes lingered on my reflection a bit longer before I rushed to put away the mirror,and head out the car before it started to rain.

           I finally took my first step inside the facility.I looked around the room,and spotted a man in what seems to be a bulletproof glass box.

            "Name?" He asked.
            "Harleen.Harleen Quinzel.Its my first day,apologies for any inconvenience." I replied,as confidently as possible.To be honest,my palms were sweating,but I kept my chin up and my chest puffed out to show that I was ready to make a difference here in Gotham.

            He stared up at me for a moment,and a red dot on a camera came on,and I figured it was scanning my face.I heard a ding from the mans side of the glass and he gave a thumbs up to me.

          "Thank yo-"
              "Hold on there,Dr.Quinzel,I need you to place your hand on the scanner so we have it for later sign ins.This way,whenever you enter,you can just put your hand on it and access will be granted to you.I will also be making a scannable ID for you for any restricted areas or cells in the Asylum." he looked at me and gave a small,fake smile.I smiled back,and he used this opportunity to take the picture for my ID.

              About five minuets later,he handed me my new ID along with a black lanyard to hang it from.I smiled and he granted me access.

             "Oh,and Dr.Quinzel,Officer Shannon would like to meet with you in the cafeteria for your tour."
                  "Okay,thank you,sir!" I said,finally skipping away from the man and his disheveled mustache.Honestly,I don't know why men choose to grow those out.

I head into the cafeteria and look around.Not long after,I feel a tapping on my shoulder and I whip my head back in surprise.Shannon was Smiling at me and I started to calm down.

"Hello,Shannon!"
"Quinzel,good to see you! Ready for your tour?" I nodded my head enthusiastically.She put a hand on my shoulder and laughed as we turned around and guided me to our first stop.

——————

After a while of looking around and getting to know the place,we made our way to where the cells were.It didn't look much like an asylum,much more like a prison.In fact,it basically was a prison.I was so sure asylums were much more civilized,with rooms instead of cells.However,at the very least,the cells were spacious,and the...'inmates' didn't have to worry about a cell partner,and instead,a therapist they'd see 5 days a week,with a second one for the weekends.I wandered down the hall,people watching the patients.Most of them were meta-humans with fierce tempers,while others were just clinically insane human beings.I frowned recognizing the ones with schizophrenia.What a horrible,painful thing they must live with.

But I came here to help them.And that's exactly what I was gonna do.

Suddenly,we rounded a corner to some stairs,and upon reaching the top of them,there were more rows of patients,guards in front of every door.This bothered me,actually.Prisoners should be treated like prisoners.Patients should be treated like patients.I didn't like the way they seemed to treat them,so I made a mental note to be kind no matter the situation,because I can clearly see they have it bad here.

We had been wandering around the Asylum for over an hour and Shannon seemed winded.As a former gymnast,I felt fine,but I guess she wasn't that fit anyway.(Shouldn't she be though? Aren't all cops supposed to undergo training to make sure they're qualified to protect the city? And especially here in Gotham,it's so unpredictable,you never know what could happen.)

"Hon,you can go on ahead real quick and check it out by yourself." She said between breaths."Meet me back here when you're done,I'll catch up.I just need a little break right quick."

"Of course.Take all the time you need! Do you mind if I talk to some of the patients while I'm at it,though?" I asked,wanting to meet some of my potential patients.

"Uhh...sure...just be careful not to provoke them.I know there's guards n' stuff,but these guys here ain't gone play games wit chu' " genuine concern was written all over her face.I smiled,mouthed a quick thank you,and went on my way.

Every step I took was watched carefully by every prisoner.

              I looked to my right.A meta human man with a large bionic snake tail hissed at me,but I didn't move a muscle.I looked to my right,and there was a huge titan looking man staring down at me.Not moving.Just staring.It didn't scare me though,I knew how heavily guarded everything in Gotham was,especially the prison and asylum.They couldn't get me,so I had nothing to fear.

I reached a quarter of the way down the hall,and spotted a beautiful,young looking woman.I walked over to her cell.She was sitting down on her cot,her elbows on her knees as she was looking down.

"Need something?" she asked.Her voice silky and smooth.I liked this girl already.She seemed very interesting,and I was eager to get to know her.

"Dr.Quinzel.I take it we're both new here?" I asked,seeing that her bed was still made,and all but a few others had theirs messy and scrambled.I assume they don't get them made unless they make it themselves or,they're new.She didn't have eye bags either like the rest of them did.Nothing was on her little desk in the back of her room,meaning she hadn't been there long enough to get settled down and comfortable yet.In fact,it looked like she had no belongings with her at all or used anything in her room.

"Yep.But that's none of your business.Why are you talking to me." she said,more like a statement than a question.I didn't reply,taking in the girl's features.She had h/l h/c hair,and the most beautiful e/c eyes I had ever seen.The short black horns stuck out of her perfect s/c skin,and I smiled at her.She noticed me staring and finally looked up at me."What do you want." She asked again,standing up and holding on to the bars that separated her from me.The guard..uh..

I squinted and looked at the man's badge.

'Flags' had put an arm between me and her,indirectly telling the girl to back off.And she did.

"You seem interesting.I hope to be your therapist in the future."

She rolled her eyes and mumbled,"let's hope not..." .With that,she turned away,sitting back on her cot.I smiled and walked back to Shannon without looking at the rest of the hall.I didn't need to,I felt like I already knew everything I needed to know about that hall.

Me and Shannon went back downstairs down to the offices.She led me to the first door on the left,with a sign next to it that read "Dr.Harleen Quinzel".I smiled at the credentials,it sounded so official,I felt like I was high authority.

We walked inside."Well,here ya' go hon. This is your new office from now on." Shannon put an arm out like she was presenting a gold prize to me.I giggled and observed the room around me.It was bare,and had only a small desk and chair smack dab in the middle,accompanied by a decorative plant in the back.I immediately knew I was going to enjoy my stay here.