3 - New Girl

************Season 4, Episode 19 spoilers!************

The heart beating in your chest threatened to crack your ribs as you dressed for your first day on the job. You'd woken up extremely early, your body clock was obviously ready to go, but you didn't want to show up before the doors were even open. Like any important day, you were too nervous to eat any real food so you settled on a cup of coffee. Planting yourself in front of your closet, you knew you had to look as professional as possible. You pulled on a white button-down, layering a tan sweater vest on top, and tucking it all into a black pencil skirt. Adding black tights and your favorite boots, you turned to look in the mirror. You grabbed your FBI badge from your dresser and clipped it to your chest.

This is as good as it's going to get.

Before heading out the door, you stopped in the bathroom. Your bedhead had been extremely hard to tame but after about twenty minutes of brushing, straightening, and an obscene amount of struggling, you'd managed to pull it back into a messy attempt at a half-up half-down hairstyle. Keeping the makeup as minimal as possible, you quickly filled in your eyebrows and brushed mascara onto your lashes. You gave yourself one last look before leaving.

I can do this, I survived in Vegas, and I can survive here.

You nodded at your internal pep talk and headed towards the door. Swinging your leather satchel over your shoulder, you stepped into the hallway. Instinctively, you glanced over your shoulder, checking the top of the staircase. No sign of Spencer. The bus map you'd pulled up on your phone told you that luckily, the stop you needed was right next to the building. You stepped into the frigid air and hustled to the bench, eager to board the warm bus. After a minute or two of waiting, Bus 602 pulled up in front of you and swung its doors open. You stepped up and dropped a few quarters in the little box next to the driver before taking the first available seat. The fifteen-minute bus ride went by surprisingly fast, but you still made a mental note to look into buying a car. You couldn't be stuck on the bus if your new team needed you for a case. The neon sign above the driver's seat displayed your stop name and you stood quickly, stumbling to the door. As the driver pulled to a stop in front of the FBI Academy, you felt surprisingly comforted at the sight of the familiar building. You said a quick thank you to the bus driver before stepping onto the sidewalk. Your heart was beating fast again, and you were pretty sure the hundreds of people walking around you could hear it. You hesitated before walking into the building.

It's not too late to go home, to accept defeat.

Standing in the doorway for a moment, you were frozen.

"Agent Y/L/N?" A deep voice asked from behind you. You turned quickly and came face to face with your new boss, Aaron Hotchner.

"Hello, sir." You responded nervously. "I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to be."

He nodded solemnly. "Follow me." He stepped into the crowded lobby, leading you to the elevator across the room. He waved at a few agents as he passed, but he made no effort to stop and make conversation. You followed him into an empty elevator and watched him press the button that corresponded with the sixth floor. "I can tell you're nervous. Don't be. This team moves fast and it will be a hard job, but I wouldn't have reached out to you if I didn't think you could do it. Your scores in the academy were very high, and your extensive collection of degrees definitely helped your case."

"Thank you, sir." You mumbled.

"We have another Nevadian in our ranks, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine."

Someone from Nevada? It couldn't be...

The elevator doors slid open, revealing a busy looking office. The number of people milling around the large room was slightly overwhelming, but you made sure to follow closely behind your boss. He led you down the center of the room, granting you looks from the Agents sitting at the desks lining the walkways. He stopped at the only empty desk in the room.