11 - Team Player

Bright lights danced behind your eyelids as you squeezed them tight. You could hear Hotch and Prentiss step into the room, talking in hushed tones to the doctor.

"How is she?" Your boss whispered.

"She's going to make a full recovery physically, but she might struggle with flashbacks for a while. Keep an eye on her."

"Will do."

You felt the bed sag as someone sat by your feet. "Y/N?" Prentiss whispered. "Are you awake?"

You nodded slowly, still keeping your eyes shut.

"Is everything okay? Are you hurting?" She asked.

"No, I'm fine, the lights are a little bright." You said quietly.

Hotch must have switched off the lights, as they went off without Prentiss moving. You opened your eyes slowly, adjusting to the cold hospital room. Prentiss sat at your feet with a worried look on her face. You smiled weakly.

"Where's everyone? Where's Spencer?" You asked, turning to look at Hotch.

He stood, leaning against the doorframe. "They're in the waiting room, do you want me to bring them in."

"Yes please."

Hotch left the room, leaving you and Prentiss alone. "Are you okay? Like, really okay?"

Your smile broke. "I thought I was going to die." You whispered, looking down at your hands. "And there was nothing there, Prentiss. No white light, no singing angels, just darkness."

She scooted farther up on the bed, pulling your hands into hers. "You made it. You're strong and you made it, YN. Don't let the rest get to you. You're alive, and you're here."

Tears stung your eyes as the team filtered in the room. You pulled away from her, wiping your tears quickly. "Hey, guys." You said, trying to smile. "How's it hanging."

"You scared us for a second kiddo," Rossi said, smiling at you.

"We're glad you're doing better," JJ added, patting your shoulder.

"Do you need anything?" Morgan asked.

"I'm pretty hungry," you confessed, smiling at the team. "Almost dying builds up an appetite."

"She's got jokes," Morgan said, laughing. "I'll track down some for you."

As he left, Spencer stepped into the room. Hotch nodded at the team, and they slowly left the room, smiling at you as they went.

"Hey." He whispered, sitting in the chair next to your bed.

"Hey yourself." You said back.

"I thought I lost you for a second." He said, looking down.

"Don't get too excited," you joked. "You can't get rid of me that easily."

"I'm sorry." He said, ignoring your feeble attempt at comedy. "If I'd called sooner..."

You interrupted his train of thought "Spencer. Shut up. You saved my life."

He smiled sadly at you. "Yeah, I guess I did. Now you owe me."

You laughed. "Yeah, I guess I do. So, are we trauma buddies now?" You asked, poking his knee.

He smiled. "You wish."

"Oh trust me, I'm fine leaving it how it is. I was just making sure you didn't need comforting."

Spencer opened his mouth to respond, but Morgan stepped into the room. He put the tray down on the table next to you.