25 - Bittersweet Victory

The knot in your throat hardened as you finished his letter. Without saying anything, you folded it and slipped it back into your pocket. Glancing softly up at him, you could read the nervousness on his face.

"Y/N if you don't-"

"Oh, shut up, Spencer," you said stepping onto your tiptoes and pressing your lips to his. He hesitated for a moment, before taking your face in his hands and kissing you back. You smiled as you pulled away. "Of course I'll be your girlfriend"

He breathed a sigh of relief, letting go of your face and wrapping his arms around you. "Thank God."

You looked up at him, resting your chin on his chest. "Did you really think I'd say no?"

He shrugged. "A little, I can never be too sure with you."

You laughed. "Well, I'm saying yes."

He smiled down at you. "As I'd hoped you would."

The two of you stood, hugging in Hotch's office for a moment before you were brought back to reality. "I'm sorry to kill the mood, but we've got a killer to catch."

Spencer frowned quickly and tightened his arms around you. "I don't like this, you know. You being in danger and all."

"It comes with the job, Spencer, all we can do is try and stop it. Let's go, Garcia's waiting for us in the conference room."

Spencer let go of you, but grabbed your hand and led you to the conference room. Garcia's face lit up as she saw you two standing hand and hand in the doorway.

"Ooh! Finally!" She squealed. "Morgan owes me five bucks!"

"Money?" Spencer asked, taking the empty seat across from Garcia. "You guys bet on us?"

"Er- maybe?" She said innocently, batting her eyelashes and stifling a giggle.

You groaned. "Was everyone in on this?"

She shrugged. "Kind of, yeah. Oh wait, not Hotch, he said it wasn't good to gamble at work."

"Come on!" You tried to stay angry, but Garcia's giggles infected you, and soon you were laughing too.

"It's not funny," Spencer warned, but it was too late, the three of you dissolved into a fit of laughter.

It was then when Morgan and Prentiss arrived back at the office.

"What are you three laughing about?" Morgan asked as he settled into a chair.

Garcia gasped for air. "Spencer finally asked Y/N out! Pass me that five dollars baby!"

"Seriously? He did it?" Morgan looked shocked.

"Yes, I did it, don't look so surprised." Spencer frowned.

Morgan laughed as he pulled out his wallet and handed Garcia a five-dollar bill.

Prentiss smiled. "Rossi owes me a cigar too."

"Hey, I'm happy you all are having a good time at my expense, but did you find anything at the scene?" You asked, directing the conversation back to the case.

"Yeah actually, we found a motel key card, we were about to head down there but we needed to come to get a few things first, our car didn't have any vests."

You rolled your eyes. "So all of this could have been avoided?"

Prentiss laughed. "Yeah, I guess so, anyway, can you Hotch and let him know we're on our way?"

"Sure thing!" Garcia said as Morgan and Prentiss left the room.

She dialed the phone and waited for Hotch to pick up.

---------------

"Okay, I'm going to bed," you said, stretching your arms. It was 10 pm now, and the team was still sitting around the table, trading theories about where Julius could be after Prentiss and Morgan arrived at an abandoned motel room.

When Hotch, JJ, and Rossi all arrived back at the BAU, they'd had similar reactions to the newfound relationship. JJ and Rossi had both forfeited various items to the other team members after losing the bet, and Hotch merely smiled intently at the two of you.

Spencer stood as you did. "Er, I'll walk you to Hotch's office."

Morgan grinned and made kissy noises. "Don't have too much fun, lovebirds."

"Ew! Morgan, really?" You said as you walked out of the room.

"That one was out of line," you heard Hotch warn as you and Spencer walked down the hall.

"Show me the setup," Spencer joked as you let him into the dark office. He perched himself on the edge of Hotch's desk.

You locked the door behind him, he raised his eyebrow and you smiled. "No, not like that, you pervert. I've got to put on my pajamas."

He laughed and threw his hands up in defeat. "Hey, a man can dream."

"That's right, keep dreaming."

Spencer watched you transform the couch into a bed, and do your quick change into your pajamas. He moved from the edge of the desk to the bed, sitting against the right side. You climbed in next to him and laid your head on his shoulder.

"Are you gonna stay?" You asked quietly.

Spencer smiled and rested his cheek on the top of your head. "I've got nowhere else to be. Now please go to sleep, from our late-night phone calls, I know for a fact you aren't getting any sleep."

You laughed and nestled yourselves under the blanket. "Whatever you say, boss man."

"Good night, Y/N. Sweet dreams."

"G'night, Spencer," you mumbled as you faded in and out of consciousness.

He kept his arm wrapped around you as you drifted off, trying his hardest not to wake you as his phone rang. You couldn't fully tell if you were dreaming or not, but you could have sworn you heard Spencer talking to someone.

"How'd you get this number?... No, no... I can't-... and you're sure she won't get hurt?... Okay, give me an hour..."

"Who was that?" you mumbled, still half asleep.

"Don't worry about it," he said soothingly. "Get to sleep."

Spencer stroked your hair, and the rhythmic movements dragged you back to sleep. The last thing you remembered before being claimed by darkness was the shifting of the bed as if someone was leaving.

---------------

You awoke the next morning and immediately reached next to you, clutching empty sheets.

"Spencer?" You said, looking around the room. He was nowhere to be found. You sat up and did a once over of the office, finding another folded piece of paper witch Spencer's scratchy writing.

- Y/N

CubeSmart Self Storage

709

I'm sorry

- Spencer

You moved into autopilot as your mind put together all the information that was flooding your senses. Spencer went to find Julius. Spencer went to find Julius alone, sometime last night, and he still wasn't back. Spencer went to find Julius, and something happened. You grabbed your things in a frenzy dressing and leaving the office in a haze. You rushed through the bullpen and into the elevator, and in seconds you were starting your car and turning out of the parking lot.

This can't be happening.

Authors Note: Hey loves! I've got a few updates! One, I'm sorry for the short chapter, but we needed the buildup to the cliffhanger. Two, my tiktok had a major shadowban, so I had to make a new account, make sure to follow @but3rfliez for extra fic content. And three, I've started a new fic! (I know, I know, I've got three active, but this one is a Harry Potter fic, so make sure to check out #12 Grimmauld Place on my page!